Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Orders - Restrict closing CO until files are in Released state

Change Orders - Restrict closing CO until files are in Released state

There's a way restrict a Change order from moving out of "Work" unless the file is in a particular state, is there a way to do the same for making sure the file is in Released state before being able to Close the Change Order?
2016-12-20_1434.png

18 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

When a change order has been approved, currently the engineer must change the state of the files associated with the ECO to released. It would make sense for this to be performed with the approval of the ECO to save time and prevent files being forgotten to be released.

Thanks!

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Have you tried to configure the Change Order Restrictions. This option is found in the Tools -> Administration -> Vault Settings -> Change Order tab. "Restrict Change Orders from moving out of "Work" state based on File and Item Lifecycle states."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

That will prevent the files and items being released by the users but doesn't move the files and items to released with the ECO.

Change Order Release Discussion

ihayesjr
Community Manager

The "Restrict File and Item Lifecycle state changes to Change Orders" option will prevent Files and Items from being released outside of the Change Order. The "Restrict Change Orders from moving out of "Work" state based on File and Item Lifecycle states" will prevent moving the ECO out of the Work state if the Files or Items are not in the correct state.  This setting will prevent Files or Items from being forgotten when approving the ECO.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm not seeing any change when I release the change order. Can I check which states should be selected?

I've got WIP and For Review ticked.

Thanks!

ihayesjr
Community Manager

If you have WIP and For Review checked, you should be prevented from moving the ECO out of the Work state when the files are in those states.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried it on a few change orders as different users and there is no change in state of the files.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

To state it a different way, this will not automatically change the state of the file. It will just prevent the state change of the Change Order. The state of the files still need to be done manually. I am just trying to suggest this setting so that files are not in the wrong state when you go to the Approved state of the Change Order.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The was no issue getting the ECO to approved with the files as WIP

eduardo.godinez2
Enthusiast

I am facing the same issue. I can have a Change Admin role in the CO and when I go to close the CO, select the Item Lifecycle State of WIP and be able to close the CO. There is no option for the CO to look for the lifecycle state of the item or file and verify that it is a "released state" in order to close the CO. I can't restrict item lifecycle state changes to change orders because not all groups use CO. It would be awesome to have the CO change the lifecycle of the associated records to the released state when closing and not have to select the item's lifecycle state manually. It can just look for the state that has "released state" in the control tab in the lifecycle definitions, no matter what name the state may have.

Autodesk Vault 2016 Professional

wtf 1.JPGwtf 2.JPG

eduardo.godinez2
Enthusiast

Currently I can have a Change Admin role in the CO and when I go to close the CO, select the Item Lifecycle State of WIP and be able to close the CO. There is no option for the CO to look for the lifecycle state of the item or file and verify that it is a "released state" in order to close the CO. I can't restrict item lifecycle state changes to change orders because not all groups use CO. It would be awesome to have the CO change the lifecycle of the associated records to the released state when closing and not have to select the item's lifecycle state manually. It can just look for the state that has "released state" in the control tab in the lifecycle definitions, no matter what name the state may have.

Vault Professional 2016

wtf 1.JPGwtf 2.JPG

Tags (2)
eduardo.godinez2
Enthusiast

Worflow - Item Lifecycle State.JPG

The picture above is just a quick example as to how the Item's lifecycle state changes from state to state within the CO. Why wait until you go to close the CO to change the lifecycle state of the associated records? It could be done automatically when moving from the Review state into the Approved state.

Since you can have more than one "Released State" setup for a lifecycle, it would be ideal if within the Global settings under the Change Orders tab, to have a setting within the Routing Definition to also select which lifecycle will be used for Items (files or other) for a specific Routing List so that it changes automatically as it transitions from state to state within the CO. Also would need to have another option within the CO settings to specify which lifecycle state an item (file or other) should be in as the CO transitions to that state with a drop down list that shows all the lifecyle states.  (see pictures below)

routing list - lifecycle.png

Both Routing List and Lifecycle list would be drop down lists ^

As you change to different Routing lists, the Lifecycle list will change to what has been chosen for that Routing list. If a lifecycle hasn't been setup for that Routing List, then it would just say "Choose Lifecycle".

CO State - Lifecycle state.png

Only the Lifecycle State List will have drop down lists and it will contain all the different lifecycle states available ^

ThomasSwanson
Advocate

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2016/01/vault-eco-is-done-what-now.html

On this blog post the last two paragraphs sum it up.  

"Looking at the actual process, once the ECO changes are approved and the Change Administrator closes the change order the above dialog appears prompting for the final item state, here, all affected items are listed and state can be set for each (independently or all affected) prior to closing the ECO.  Once complete the items are released or obsoleted and the ECO closed.

It is worth noting this workflow only affects items, files attached as a record are not impacted by the ECO close and manual state changes are required here.  We can though link the ECO state to file lifecycle transition controls and manage file release based on ECO approval (ECO must be approved before transitioning to Released state), certainly something worth looking at in greater detail in another post." 

In other words if you do a change order on an ITEM, you get prompted with a dialog allowing you to change state of all attached files.  If the Change Order was preformed on a File then you are not prompted.    

This work flow needs to be made consistent through out the Vault. 

A word of caution, if you add the rules to the transitions as mentioned in the blog and then close the ECO, if the option to "restrict Lifecycle state changes inside a ECO" is enabled then you will have to start another ECO, and move it to the correct ECO state to match the Lifecycle transition rule just to change the Lifecycle state. 

ThomasSwanson
Advocate

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2016/01/vault-eco-is-done-what-now.html

On this blog post the last two paragraphs sum it up.  

"Looking at the actual process, once the ECO changes are approved and the Change Administrator closes the change order the above dialog appears prompting for the final item state, here, all affected items are listed and state can be set for each (independently or all affected) prior to closing the ECO.  Once complete the items are released or obsoleted and the ECO closed.

It is worth noting this workflow only affects items, files attached as a record are not impacted by the ECO close and manual state changes are required here.  We can though link the ECO state to file lifecycle transition controls and manage file release based on ECO approval (ECO must be approved before transitioning to Released state), certainly something worth looking at in greater detail in another post." 

In other words if you do a change order on an ITEM, you get prompted with a dialog allowing you to change state of all attached files.  If the Change Order was preformed on a File then you are not prompted.    

This work flow needs to be made consistent through out the Vault. 

A word of caution, if you add the rules to the transitions as mentioned in the blog and then close the ECO, if the option to "restrict Lifecycle state changes inside a ECO" is enabled then you will have to start another ECO, and move it to the correct ECO state to match the Lifecycle transition rule just to change the Lifecycle state. 

Gene.R
Advocate

Yes!

Please allow users to define which Item Lifecycle states can occur in the Change order closed state.

I would Prevent Change orders from closing if state is not "Obsolete" or "Released"

I've had users blow right by the dialog and close the ECO while the items are still in the "Work in Progress" state.

Gene.R

a.murphyYHDY8
Enthusiast

Change Admin should not be able to close an ECO before changing file states from “In Review” to “Released”.

Obsolete state should also be allowed as mentioned by Gene above.

Adam

a.murphyYHDY8
Enthusiast

Change Admin should not be able to close an ECO before changing file states from “In Review” to “Released”.

Hunteil
Collaborator

And have it release the files at the closing step and have the released be by whoever moved it to to Review Step so the admin's username isn't on every file in the system. (We don't use Item Master on purpose, so the setting to release on closure doesn't work for non-item master lifecycles.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report