Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centralized management of all configuration data

Centralized management of all configuration data

It would be nice to manage things like saved searches, grid settings and plug-ins through the Vault Settings window instead of copying files to each Vault user's computer.

Project Thunderdome is a good start, but I would like to go beyond Thunderdome.  It would be better if the app were easier to use and built into Vault.

81 Comments
v.dobreaA3C4X
Advocate

@Anonymous  you could try and get in touch with them (AMC Bridge) and see if future release can help by implementing your needs! 

marc.franzke
Participant

Dear Autodesk Team,

Please revise your configuration management completely. Everything is stored XML-filebased in Windows-user-profiles. In big environments it is not compfortable for the administrators or Key-Users and endusers to manage their configs.  In my oppinion Thunderdome is not the right answer for deploying this. 

Why you dont store configs like table-views, seach folders, configs for Inventor addin, like same file number for model and drawings, copydesign rules, etc. etc. in the database directly? 

Please, Please, Please... make this area great for all  administrators, Key-Users, Endusers and partners who are angry about that topic and spend a lot of time to decode your XML-Files and folderstructures.

Some examples with pain: 

• The CopyDesign Rule Sets are stored in the user profile of Windows. Your current concept is, that the administrator of Vault has to configure the rules on each place with the userprofile (Windows) from the enduser. This not practicable for big environments. And in case that you use more than one Language in the environment it is not posible to deploy that via scripting at all. (Path: ...\Copy Design-ruleset\ in english version, Path: ...\Copy Design-Regelsätze\... in German Version, in case of both folders on one pc the rules doesnt work anymore) no option to force a specific ruleset.
    • Not an enduser decision...
  • Drawing Number and Model Number should be equal. 
    • Not an enduser decision...
  • Table Views has to be configured by each user. in case, the the user will change the PC, it is nessecary to configure it again. It should be more compfortable for the user, weather there is something like a userprofile in vault-database, which stores these configs. 
    • Please take a look in Productstream Professional Pro... no issue here... (20 Years ago)
  • Search folders the same. no options for using variables like "CurrentUser", no easy deployment yet. 
    • Please take a look in Productstream Professional Pro... no issue here... (20 Years ago)
  • maybe it makes sense to store the Inventor settings too.
  • The benefit is to force settings for company compliance!

Best regards Marc!

OlivierSIMON7524
Advocate

En 2019 Cette administration centralisée n'existe toujours pas il me semble.

steinar_sorem
Advocate

Autodesk, is there any progress on this case? I suggest it to be fixed in Vault 2021, but no 😕

Why leaving us behind with such a huge mount of admin work together with Autodesk Vault?

Hi.

We deploy Vault Pro client and would like to include the deployment with a modified GridState.xml file to ensure all users got the correct user interface during the first logon to the new installed client. In fact that Vault P client reset this file during the first logon our deployed modified user interface is reset to default. How do we do this to ensure all user working with correct user interface? When do we get a complete centralized admin management of this application?

With 100 users of Vault it a big task as it is today. Agree?

BR

Steinar Sørem

Kongsberg Maritime

dominik.gleinser
Advocate

Hi Sorem,

thanks for your new reply to this topic! 

I also thought that Autodesk will review this in 2021 as discussed. This is a big topic during updates of complex Vault environments for our customers. The second problem is that gridviews (registers, tool bars, etc) are running unstable and often have to be reset. 

It would be a great advantage for customers and administrators if the client configs would be stored at the server (maybe in a database). Regarding Vault to much things depend on the client config and permissions. This fact creates a lot of work for admin during implementations, updates and the running support for our customers.

Thankgs

SIAPI_IT
Participant
From this point of view Vault is very poor, every time you install a service pack you obly users to reset grids, Item not visualized and so on. Terrible. Otherwise you can copy a directory in %APPDATA%, but this is sure!?
ihayesjr
Community Manager

@SIAPI_IT 

Product updates (service packs) do not require users to reset their grids. Going from one release to the next release does require users to reset their grids.

steinar_sorem
Advocate
Hi, that's correct!
Autodesk Vault seen from an application administration look is free from attention from Autodesk.
Autodesk, please take action and establish the possibility to add all necessary client setup need`s in the deployment. As Grid State etc.
If service pack is added to the client, login information od and user`s config of the application is reset. Please don`t do that. We have 100+ clients need to reconfigure their application every time.

Br
Steinar

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@steinar_sorem 

Vault Updates (service packs) do not reset the user's login information. Can you tell me what update you have experienced did this?

steinar_sorem
Advocate
Vault 2021.1 reset login information
You need to select Windows authentication again to be able to log in
Some users also have to add the server name again
s\
ihayesjr
Community Manager

I talked to the development team on this issue. In the Vault 2021.1 Update, we needed to make a change to the XML files stored on the user's machine which then required the user to input their login information again. This is a rare occurrence so it will most likely not happen again.

Gene.R
Advocate

Is this Really accepted,

This Idea is listed as accepted, when can we expect to see some action on this Idea in the form of Autodesk surveys, Vault Roadmap Discussions, or Beta testing?

We have had this discussion on previous Vault Roadmap discussions but were told " There is an app for that". I have used Thunderdome for several years but it is usually lagging in Release times every year. I have had support issues in the past where I have been told that thunderdome was the culprit and to uninstall it, granted it wasn't actually the problem but it took time away from productivity for me to nail it down as a repeatable issue without it, and by then was told it would be fixed in the 2022 release.

at a very minimum I would appreciate admin capability to customize and deploy Company default grid states and saved searches companywide.

allowing users to create backups could be a separate entity altogether and preferably would not allow overwriting the Company Default.

please help as admins to manage our deployment configurations within the vault product instead of deferring us to use custom batch files, scripts, or 3rd party add-ins.

Kind Regards from a truEVault user,

Gene

steinar_sorem
Advocate
Great addon to this case!
Hopefully Autodesk asap understand how much administrative work it is to administrate a Autodesk Vault environment in a global or big number of users engineering business. And the launch a complete administraitive rollout solution I Vault 2022!
Still believe....

Br
Steinar Sørem
Kongsberg Maritime
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Sorry, but we have to change this back to Future Consideration.

steinar_sorem
Advocate
Sorry from all of your customers,
That`s a huge step back to all of us that work with Vault administration in multiuser Vault environment. As it is today, this is the worst part of the product Autodesk Vault.
Strange that Autodesk don`t prioritize roll out and usability of the product to ensure that administrators are able to ensure all users running a full company oriented and updated program all time. In any time zone, anywhere in the world.
Gene.R
Advocate

No love for the admins.

I feel an Autodesk Survey would be appropriate to determine the need and gain traction toward acceptance, it would reach more customers beyond just the idea station.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

We are investigating a way to solve this for all Autodesk products and not just the Vault product. That is why I switched this back to Future Consideration. Please make sure you are in the Feedback communities where you can be informed of upcoming changes and can provide your input during the early stages of development for this solution.

steinar_sorem
Advocate
Agree!
This was a setback to us working with the product in daily basis round the globe, and elsewhere.

steinar_sorem
Advocate
Your customers using Autodesk Vault as a PDM system had asked for Administrative privileges in the product since the program was borne out of Productstream. Ever since we have asked Autodesk to see that a big company need to be able to make a deployment storing service packs, updates, grid states, search, Windows Account as the default login type and many more setting to become available in the deployment. And then, after installation the program has to set the correct state as what kind of user logging in. With hundreds of users around the globe, Autodesk has to understand the priority of this. It is challenging and extremely time-consuming dealing with this product as it works today due to the administrative tasks. Our waiting has passed 15 years....
thoroth
Contributor

de:

Ich wünsche mir eine viel bessere Verwaltung der Oberfläche.
1. der Admin muss in der Lage sein, sinnvolle Vorgaben zu machen. Die Standardeinstellung der Listen ist nicht nutzbar. Man muss diese immer anpassen.
2. Jeder Benutzer muss in der Lage sein, eigene Einstellungen als "Standard" abzuspeichern. Diese Einstellungen überschreiben dann die Admin-Vorgaben.
3. Alle Einstellungen der Oberfläche müssen in der Datenbank abgelegt werden. Wenn ein User einen anderen PC nutzt, hat er damit automatisch seine eigene Oberfläche.
Thunderdome hilft hier auch nur begrenzt weiter, da man das erst auf allen PC zusätzlich installieren muss und auch jede Sicherung der Oberfläche manuell anstoßen muss.

en:

I wish for a much better UI management.

1. the admin must be able to make meaningful specifications. The standard setting of the lists is not usable.

2. Each user must be able to save their own settings as "default". These settings will then override the admin defaults.

3. All UI settings must be saved in the database. If a user uses a different PC, they automatically have his own UI. Thunderdome is only of limited help here. You first have to install it on all PCs and also manually initiate each backup of the UI.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report