Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault updates part version in old DWG version

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
john_74
537 Views, 7 Replies

Vault updates part version in old DWG version

While checking in version 3 of an .ipt and .dwg file today, we noticed at version 1 of the .dwg file (which was checked in in 2010 and should reference version 1 of the .ipt file) has updated the .ipt file it's using and now shows a representation of version 3 of the .ipt file (where all of the annotations from 2010 have remained, and the dimension lines have re-oriented themselves to try to conform to the new version of the part).

In Vault, the thumbnail view shows version 1 of the .ipt file, but the preview shows version 3. When opened, it opens to version 3.

Any idea what's happening here? The only thing I can think of is either:

1) the .dwg file is somehow set to use the latest version of the part file, or

2) the .dwg "lost" version 1 of the .ipt file, and just picked up whatever version was available.

Any ideas?

Thanks! John 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
olearya
in reply to: john_74

Hey John,

This may depend on how you open the file, but if you are actually opening V1 of the drawing then all it really knows is that it points to a specific file and whatever version of that file exists on the local disk at time of open is what you will see (the default behavior for Vault of course is to always download "latest")

Your preview, dwf and history should of course point at the correct version and if you download the previous version of the inventor part prior to opening V1 of the drawing this will be correctly represented.

I hope this makes sense - we do better control this type of behavior in the rev management versions of Vault (VW, VC and VP) which permits you to open directly a specific document revision "as released".

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 8
john_74

Allan,

Thanks for the help. by checking out v1 of the .ipt file (thus ensuring it is on my local drive) and keeping it open while opening the v1 .dwg file from Vault, the print is returned to its correct state (i.e., the version 1 part file is on the version 1 print).

However, I am afraid to save it back to Vault, as I think it might become version 4 and supercede the changes made in v2 and v3. So it remains incorrect in Vault.  Are my concerns realistic?

Thanks, and have a good weekend!

John

Message 4 of 8
olearya

Hey John,

There are a few steps requires to supersede a documents latest version - we do not allow you to simply get an old version and overwrite the latest.  Here you would need to first check out the file, then get the previous version as you have done now overwriting the local copy and then check both files back in meaning that you would create a new version of the drawing and part file - V4.

The reason the new version is created is because you cannot edit an older version (V1) as it is a historical record.  

I am not sure why you want to change V1?  If you even need to go back and review this you should be able to simply look at the dwf or do as you have done now and open the correct file versions associated with the drawing.

If this is a matter of trying to track "as builts" or released revisions you might need to look at one of the revision management products though this of course is at a cost 🙂

Hope this helps, and you have a good weekend too!

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 8
john_74

I was hoping to revert Version1 of the dwg file (in the Vault preview, and also when you open it from Vault) to correctly show Version1 of the .ipt file, as it did since it was checked in back in 2010 up until I updated to version 2 and 3 of the .dwg file earlier this month.

It is very confusing to all involved in the EC process that the solid shown in the V1 drawing is the same as the solid shown in the V3 drawing. As there is apparently no associativity between the version of the .ipt file and the .dwg file when the .dwg file is checked in, I do not know how to correlate the two (do I need to keep a spreadsheet to track which version of the .ipt file goes with each version of the .dwg file?).   

Or do I just need to make sure that anyone who opens an older version of a drawing doesn't have a newer version of the .ipt file on their local drive already? This would be very difficult to police.

Thanks,

John

Message 6 of 8
olearya

HI John,

Can I ask you to test the following and let me know if this works for you:

1. From Vault Explorer select the drawing file

2. Under the history tab select V1

3. Right click and "Get / Checkout" (Accept to overwrite local copies if prompted)

4. Go to AutoCAD and open the file from the local workspace.

Are you seeing the correct file version detailed in the drawing?

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 8
john_74

Sorry for the delay, I was busy working on another EC.

When I follow the steps you listed, the correct part file (V1) is now detailed in the V1 drawing file.

So Vault is correctly associating a version of the part file with each version of the drawing file.

However, if I double-click on the V1 .dwg file in Vault explorer, and there are not any versions of the .ipt file presently open in Inventor, it grabs the latest version of the .ipt file from Vault and loads it to the local workspace. If there is a version of the .ipt file open in Inventor, it uses it for the drawing.

It is good to know that there is still a link between the drawing version and the part version.

Is the behavior when using "preview" or double-clicking in Vault explorer as intended? If so, I will inform my co-workers that the correct way to view old drawings from Vault is to right click and use Get/Checkout.

Thanks for the help!

John

Message 8 of 8
olearya

Hi John,

This is the designed behavior as open command file commands default to latest. 

Let me know if you have any more questions on this.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report