Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2015 Migration Failure

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Neil_Cross
364 Views, 7 Replies

Vault 2015 Migration Failure

Was doing a final dry run for a platform migration, restoring a backup from 2013 into 2015, the restore completes, the post migration now fails:

Migration.jpg

Please note I have the hotfix installed that is meant to fix this.  Things I've already tried:

• Created another manual backup package from the ADMS console, restored that one, same error
  • Migrated in place from 2013 > 2015, same error
  • Ran -Ob2bmigrate with the unmigrated Vault attached, same error
  • Ran -Ob2bmigrate with the unmigrated Vault detached, same error
  • detached the vault, reattached, same error
  • Restored with the DM1904923 hotfix applied and migrating, same error
  • Restored without the DM1904923 hotfix applied, same error, then applied the hotfix, same error
  • Logged the problem with product support on the date you can see in the screen shot, 27/01, that was over one week ago, in one week I've had ONE response which simply said 'do a backup again and see if it happens again'.  A system failure and in 1 week Product Support have got back to me with one suggestion, and the suggestion was a gigantic waste of my time.  Case number 10400271 if someone can go and do something about that.

This is on my test server but as I'm planning on going live with this migration on the real Vault in 4 weeks, I need this fixed urgently within 2 weeks as the business has prepared itself for the system upgrade occuring in 4 weeks time.  It's a sorry state of affairs that I have to come here for a business critical issue.

Any assistance or escalation would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ihayesjr
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Please log a support request through your subscription.

Ignore, I see you already have.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 8
Neil_Cross
in reply to: ihayesjr

Hi Irvin,

I've never been one to hold back but for the time being I'm going to put that to one side and focus on getting this fixed.  But 6 working days have now passed since this issue was logged and the only response I've had was to "do the backup again and try again".  

On Monday I reported, as I 100% expected, that this didn't work (it takes ~2 days to backup and restore this site, so it was a weekend lost for me, and why would it work... it was a migration failure not a backup/restore failure).  It will now be Thursday, the 7th working day after logging the case when I yet again wait to see if I get a reply.

Stopping myself from unloading my feelings about this is genuinely wanting to make me hurt myself, I just need a solution.  This customer pays near enough 250 licenses worth of Vault Pro and PDSU subscription costs per year to Autodesk, they expect a solution.  And expect it quicker than 6 working days and counting, even more so when we have a huge site migration project scheduled to happen soon, this was the final trial run for that migration.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

Message 4 of 8
ihayesjr

I will review the case.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
ihayesjr

Did you try to apply the Service Pack and all the latest hotfixes to the server installation then run your restore again?

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 8
Neil_Cross

Thanks Irvin.  I appreciate you're not product support but I'm grateful for the assistance.

Yes I've performed a restore into ADMS 2015 with the all the latest hotfixes already applied.  I think the screen shot above is from that scenario, I included a screengrab of the updates to prove they were present.  I've tried an in-place migration from 2013 > 2015, then applied the service packs.  I've tried restoring into ADMS 2015 SP1 Update 1, then applying the issue specific hotfix, then migrating, I've tried multiple different scenarios, they all result in the above failure.  

In fact the only scenario I'm not 100% convinced I've tried, because I've done that many, is restoring into RTM 2015 with no service packs and then attempting migration before applying any service packs.  I'll try that overnight but I'm going to work on the assumption that this will also fail.

Message 7 of 8
ihayesjr

Neil,

Make sure that you have applied the service pack first, then performed the restore, then do the migration.  If you attempted the migration prior to installing the hot fix or service pack, got the error then applied them and tried again without restoring the error can't be corrected.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 8
Neil_Cross

Hi Irvin,

I've done exactly as you've suggested, I'd already previously done this, but I've done it again and recorded the entire process on a screen recording showing the migration error still occuring.  I've emailed that video to Allan and CC'd the PM email group as I don't have your email address.  

SP1 & Update 1 installed before the restore, did the restore then migration, error still occurs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report