Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Reference Repair Utility .xml file in Excel

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
karthur1
1280 Views, 28 Replies

Opening Reference Repair Utility .xml file in Excel

After I ran the scan, I want to open and view the .xml.  I start Excel and the chose file>Open and browse to the .xml file.

Excel then give me a dialog to:

2012-12-19_2158.png

The "read-only workbook" will open and show the different columns, but it is read-only.  The other two are are blank worksheets when it opens.  Which one should I be using?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
minkd
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Is it possible that you pasted the command line from somewhere and the "-" isn't really a dash.  I've seen editors change the "-" into a long dash, which is not the same thing.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 22 of 29
karthur1
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Thanks,  That got the import to work.

After the import, I ran the RRU again. Now my .xml only has ??? in the "Matching Ref In Vault" column. To correct them, I have to browse to the file and open, save and check into vault from Inventor.  I have several hundred of these to do. It will be very time consuming.

I know this is a stretch, but would there be anyway (macro or ilogic) to automate this?  All that it has to do is take the files in the "Parent Missing Ref" column and open each of them in Inventor.

Message 23 of 29
minkd
in reply to: karthur1

Hmm, I'm really not sure ... but if there was a way, it would likely involve Inventor Task Scheduler (which unfortunately, I know little about).

Hopefully, someone else reading this knows if there is a way to create a task given a list of vault pathnames that can checkout/checkin each one.

Meanwhile, I'll find someone who knows task scheduler and ask them.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 24 of 29
karthur1
in reply to: minkd

Dave,

Any luck on reading in an excel list of files using Task Scheduler.... or other method?  Any other suggestions how to get the files corrected other than manually browsing and opening each one?

Thanks

Message 25 of 29
minkd
in reply to: karthur1

I was not envisioning the Inventor Task Scheduler reading directly from the XML file.  I was thinking along the lines of opening the XML file in Excel, selecting the column with the parent pathnames and pasting that either into Task Scheduler or a 1 line per pathname text file and giving that to Task Scheduler.

However, the sum of my knowledge of Task Scheduler is that it exists and that it can do some vault things - I don't know if it can take a list of vault pathnames and make sense of them (they are not workspace pathnames).  I asked an internal expert the question, but have not received a response yet - I assume he is busy with other things so I'll ping him again.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 26 of 29
dan_szymanski
in reply to: minkd

Hello Kirk,

There is a way to feed a .csv file into Task Scheduler by using a custom task (accompanied with some iLogic).

An article about how to create a sample custom task is outlined on our PS Being Inventive Blog here.

The article does not cover a complete sequential, check out, save, check in task, however it gives you the concept (and might allow you to get what you need - however no assurances here considering you are dealing with some variances - sorry).  So this may be something worth looking into?

Best of luck.

Dan

Dan Szymanski
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 27 of 29
karthur1
in reply to: dan_szymanski

Dan,

I'll give that a try.  I ran the Repair Ref Utility on a segment of my vault and there are over 500 files that have the  ??? in the "Matching Ref In Vault" column.  In order to repair them, I would have to open them all in Inventor, save and check-in.

Not sure how the task scheduler will handle the errors when opening especially if it cant find the files it needs to open an iam or idw.  Will try it and see.

Message 28 of 29
karthur1
in reply to: dan_szymanski

Dan,

I tried using a cusom task, but I couldnt get it to work.

So I have a list of files.  The first hurdle was getting a way to check-out the list of files from Vault. I could never do it.  I would then need to have a ilogic rule (or other code) to migrate the file, then check them back into vault. I could run them as seperate tasks, but I could not find any iLogic code that does Vault file operations.

I could get the example from the blog to work perfectly, but that was not using Vault.

Thanks

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1 (update1)
Vault Basic 2013

Message 29 of 29

Well, in this case, try these methods. Hope this will help you

• First Try to open your ‘.xlm' file by making it ‘read-only’
• Now click on the ‘Office button’ and then select ‘save’ for a new document or ‘save as’ for the previously saved document.
• Next, you have to click on the ‘Tools’ and then select ‘General Option’.
• Lastly, click on the ‘read-only’ check-box to make document read-onlyNow you have to open a new and blank ‘.xlm’ file and then copy the whole data from the corrupted Excel file to this new one. Now simply save this file and try to open it again.

To know more read this: http://www.repairmsexcel.com/blog/fix-excel-found-unreadable-content-in-filename-xls-error-in-ms-exc...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report