Community
Upchain Forum
Welcome to the Upchain Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Upchain topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I replace a part model associated to an Item with an assembly

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
evandergootA67JC
322 Views, 2 Replies

How can I replace a part model associated to an Item with an assembly

I have a model attached to a Item in solidworks, now this item numbers turns out to be an assembly.

how can  I change the part model to an assembly?

The assembly consists of three parts but only the assembly should be an item as it is purchased the parts them self should be phantom  can this be done??  

evandergootA67JC_0-1660307717972.png

evandergootA67JC_1-1660307751924.png

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi there.  There is a way to do this, though you will no longer be able to use the original part file (or import another part with the same name).  You can follow the steps below to replace the part with an assembly on the item in question.

1.  Navigate to the BOM view of the project where you have the item saved in the web.

2.  Right click the item and select "New Version"

aaron_lord_1-1660672823231.png

3.  There will be a warning message telling you that the CAD file will be disassociated from the item in this new version.  Select Continue.

aaron_lord_2-1660672848015.png

4.  Open the assembly you wish to associate to the item in Solidworks.

5.  Login to the Upchain CAD plugin in and navigate to the item in the project BOM that we just removed the CAD file from.

6.  Right click on the item in question and select "Attach Active CAD file"

aaron_lord_3-1660673310696.png

7.  Switch to the cBOM view and refresh.  You should see the assembly attached to the item with any children of the assembly brought in as phantom parts.  You can create items for those phantom parts if necessary by checking them out and selecting "Create Item"

aaron_lord_4-1660673765991.png

Message 3 of 3

Thanks, this solution works

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report