Subscription Changes
Welcome to Autodesk’s Subscription Changes Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore Subscription changes topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Users on Same System

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
chriswade
4350 Views, 10 Replies

Multiple Users on Same System

So, we use terminal servers hosted on AWS utilizing network licenses at present. The problem we run up against with single user licenses is that we can only start two instances of AutoCAD on the same machine.

With network licenses, every user has their own windows account, so the network license manager assigns each individual person their own license and we know it works properly, because there are times we run out of licenses (we are reaching the point of needing to buy more, but that's another story) and it is when the applicable number of people have the software open.

So, now the question is how will this work with single user licenses on the same system for more than one or two people at a time.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
lynn_zhang
in reply to: chriswade

Hi @chriswade , thanks for your question!

A subscription with single-user access allows a single user to install and use an Autodesk product on up to three devices, but you can only run the software on one device at a time. If multiple users need to access the product concurrently then each of them will need a license. See: Subscriptions with single-user access.

With a single-user subscription, your software is activated automatically. You don't need to enter a serial number or registration code to use the software. And you won't require any terminal servers to host the licenses. Each user will simply create an Autodesk Account and access the product by signing in their account. See: Access with Autodesk ID-based subscription (sign in).

As a manager or administrator, you will assign the access to each user (Named User) who needs to use the product. The number of named users you can assign per product is determined by the total number of seats purchased for that product. Administrators assign named users to products and manage their permissions in Autodesk Account. You can find more information here: Autodesk Account user management.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 3 of 11
thkoehler
in reply to: lynn_zhang

Hi @lynn_zhang,

Multiple of our customers are in a similar situation like Chris described. They want to host the AutoCAD application (not just the licenses!) on a terminal server. Every user has their own, unique login for that machine, and also their own Autodesk account with a separate Single User license linked to it.

However, only 2 users can work concurrently on the same terminal server. When the 3rd user logs in and starts AutoCAD, a message "Only 2 instance(s) of AutoCAD allowed to run in a terminal server environment" will be shown and the instance is closed.

Please also see support case 15764771 for further detail.

Best regards,

Thomas

Message 4 of 11
chriswade
in reply to: thkoehler

I love how Autodesk doesn't even read the question well enough to understand it.

Of course each user will need a license, that wasn't the question, the question was how do we have more than two users use the software on the same remote desktop at the same time? Currently AutoCAD limits it to two per terminal server unless you use network licensing.

Message 5 of 11
lynn_zhang

Hi @chriswade @thkoehler 

Sorry I didn't understand your question correctly, my apologies! I see you asked the same question in the other post: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/subscription-changes/single-user-access-for-vdi/m-p/9361684#M436. We're seeking clarification with the internal team and will get back to you as soon as we have the answer. Thank you for your patience!

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Message 6 of 11
chriswade

I still want to know why there isn't a ready answer in the FAQ, I mean this is a very common workflow, yet it appears Autodesk never considered it.

Message 7 of 11
thkoehler

Hi @lynn_zhang 

Do you have any update on this matter?

Best regards

Thomas

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: thkoehler

Hi @lynn_zhang  @thkoehler 

Was there any update on this? We are in the same situation right now and are looking for options.

Message 9 of 11
thkoehler
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Unfortunately, I have not received any updates in the meantime 🙁.

Best regards,

Thomas

Message 10 of 11
lithivm

Any update on this?

There are lots of companies using Network licensing on Terminal server with more than two users running Autodesk products.  

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: lithivm

We Also have this issue of multiple users on a VDI system

We also have the following scenario. 

We keep 2 computers in the server room that have multi user licenses on them.  We use these machines with our network logons using remote desktop.  These machines exist as it take up to 8 hours to import and export our assemblies that have around 200k parts.  With the new licensing method how can I have these machines running? or do I have to pay someone to watch the screen?

Graeme

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report