Structural Bridge Design Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Structural Bridge Design Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Structural Bridge Design topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design moment used in shear calculations

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
HardyNFNH6Q
574 Views, 1 Reply

Design moment used in shear calculations

Hi,

I would like to query what design moment SAM uses in shear calculations for a column section. I have created a loadcase where I have input ULS values for Mx, My, Axial and shear components (see attachment). However when I analyse the section, the Mx value is not what I have input and shows a much higher value. Could someone please explain why this is the case? I am unsure as to what is influencing this value.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
david.geeves
in reply to: HardyNFNH6Q

Hi HardyNFNH6Q,

The reason that your moment is so high is that  you have the "Capacity" field in the analysis form set to Mx bending which will carry out a strain compatibility analysis to establish the additional moment above the load case moment that the section can carry.  If you set this field to "Not used" then the moment used in your shear calculations will be the applied load case moment.

I hope this helps.  If this has answered your query then please mark this post as solved so that others can find the solution more easily.

Kind regards

David Geeves

Enterprise Prority Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report