Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem fps with gtx 1080

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
cam101
872 Views, 15 Replies

Problem fps with gtx 1080

Hello,

I have an asus rog g701vi with a gtx 1080 and when I run the stingray demo,

the shadow caster is red (see photo) with 11fps

When I disable the shadows, it is the g-buffer that turns red.

Do you have an idea ?

Thank you

Cam

Screenshot - 1.pngScreenshot - 20_03_2017 , 17_48_41.png

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
cornelh
in reply to: cam101

@cam101

if this is a laptop, make sure stingray is using the geforce card and not intel card (force nvidia GPU

did you turn on all the lights to not be baked?

Message 3 of 16
cam101
in reply to: cornelh

thank you for your reply,

On this laptop, the integrated graphic is deactivated by default.

All other applications are working properly.

Camille

Message 4 of 16
dave.tyner

Cam101, have you run the level to see if what's being reported in the editor is accurate? Also, what version of Stingray is this and is your graphics driver up to date?

Message 5 of 16
cam101
in reply to: dave.tyner

Hello dave and thank you for your reply,

Yes, by executing the level the latency is the same.

I think stingray does not use my gtx 1080

All other applications work perfectly, it's only with stingray that I have this problem.

The stingray version is 1.7 and the latest nvidia driver is installed

Message 6 of 16
paul.kind

Check out this link.  Should be what you need.  Just replace wherever it says "infraworks" with "Stingray" and the document should read fine for your case.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infraworks-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

This is a common problem for laptops with graphics cards.  Generally they default to integrated instead of the dedicated graphics card on applications that are not "games".  None the less its a relatively easy fix.

Paul

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 7 of 16
cam101
in reply to: paul.kind

Hi Paul,

On my nvidia panel, there is not the option "select the graphics processor for this program"

On my laptop (asus rog g701vi) this menu is disabled.

Cam

Message 8 of 16
cam101

Hi,

I tried installing unreal. The unreal default template is a constant 60 fps.

Stingray is at 9 fps. My laptop has only one gpu enabled (gtx 1080), styngray does not seem to use it.

Message 9 of 16
paul.kind

A few things you can still try.

1.  You can boot your laptop to the bios and disable the intel integrated graphics.  This is the brute force method and should only be used as the last resort as your battery life will suffer.  It will completely disable the power savings that the intel integrated graphics offers.  If you need to go this rout, ill try and find an appropriate set of instructions.

2. You can make sure all your settings are at maximum in the windows performance panel.

Click Windows Start > Type in Power, Click the resulting "Power Options" control panel.  Set settings to High Performance.

3.  Asus seems to allow you to control the NVidea card from the panel by right clicking the application you want to adjust..

See this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBz3hxza0Do (it is an annoying video but at 1:35 it shows you what to do.)

Hope this helps.

Paul

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 10 of 16
paul.kind

I just looked up your laptop, it definately has both an Integrated and dedicated graphics card.  The integrated one is built into your chip (this chip is used generally because it bosts dramatically better battery life) and a dedicated graphics card for high performance applications.  The laptop is simply not recognizing Stingray and therefore using the efficient, not the powerful videocard.  My above suggfestions should resolve your issue.  You can also check with Asus, their forums are fairly decent and i noticed a number of people with similar problems (graphics cards not being used when they should) and a number of solutions were provided.  Basically what I said above.

Good luck.

Paul

Message 11 of 16
cam101

Hello paul and thank you,

The problem with my, laptop is that I do not switch gpu, nor in the bios, nor in the panel nvidia nor in gpuz.

As if the graphic intel was not used,

I will see on forum asus

Thanks again

Message 12 of 16
paul.kind

If the intel graphics was NOT used, then your performance would be fine.  I think the problem is that your intel graphics is ALL that is used.  It is not switching to the GTX card.

Paul

Message 13 of 16
__ben__

We have reproduced the problem on a similar laptop and are tracking the issue internally as GAME-22731. We will post to this thread when a fix has been implemented. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Message 14 of 16
cam101
in reply to: __ben__

Thank you all for your help

Message 15 of 16
andrejrodionov
in reply to: __ben__

Hello,

I have the same issue with my gtx 1070 on a stationary pc. It seems not to recognize the usage of Stingray and keep up the performance level of 0. The option to change the graphic card is also not available.

Additionally, Stingray is slowing down the entire system drastically. The Notebook I was using before with GTX960M hadn’t any problems to run Stingray and it wasn’t the newest one.

I have tried Stingray 1.4 and 1.7. The version 1.4 shows additionally a runtime error.

I guess the problem is not with the PC performance itself:

MSI MI2

GTX 1070 (8 GB)

Intel® Core™ i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz

RAM 16 GB

Display resolution 4K

I would be grateful for any advice.

With best regards.

Message 16 of 16
paul.kind
in reply to: andrejrodionov

I am not entirely sure why, but it seems that some computer manufacturers allow the ability to switch and some do it with some (not-so) smart method.  I will continue to research this, but it seems the ones that don't let you manually switch your graphics to preffer the video card by default in the NVidea control panel will have this issue.  We do have our tech team looking into the issue so a solution/patch should be forth-comming but this seems to be a hardware issue, not a problem with Stingray per sey.  None-the-less, this is a priority to us.  

If you are exhibiting this problem, when replying to this post please leave the exact manufacturer and model of your computer, along with the Video Card and Chip if possible.  

For example....

Asus ROG GL753VD-DS71
Intel Core i7 - 7700HQ

GTX 1050

(This is not my computer, only an example)

Please make sure all relevant drivers are updated prior to posting.

NOTE: For computer savvy users, you may want to check your bios to see if you can disable the intel integrated graphics.  This will most certainly correct the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report