Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major installation problems

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Maxwell78
262 Views, 5 Replies

Major installation problems

We bought a yearly subscription as our demo had run out and we wanted to continue to use this software.

My PC is very much "Offline". I have a sandboxed browser to be able to use the internet, and that's it. Everything else is locked down.

I chose offline activation for that reason only to be told that I needed an internet connection to continue....? how is that offline?

My IT department opened up the firewall for my IP and we tried again. I got as far as entering my Screen Name. Now here is where I fear I made an error. I entered my user name instead of the username of the account and therefore licence holder. I have managed to get no further as I am told that I still need an internet connection to continue whenever I start Stingray, despite IT assuring me that when I have tried the firewall is open for my IP.

I have contacted support. The solutions so far are a) install a packet sniffer to find out what's happening. My IT dept weren't too amused by that one. or b) switch licence from standalone to single seat network and run a licence server on our internal network. Our reseller have told us that they will not allow us to exchange our single seat licence to a network one, we will have to purchase another. I find that completely outrageous, but that's another rant to have somewhere else.

What is going wrong and where? I am at a loss and at the moment disillusioned. How can an offline installer need to be connected to the internet? surely there are people using this software without an internet connection??

Main machine: 2 x E5-2670v3, 64Gb RAM, Quadro M6000 24Gb ~ Render Server: 8 x E7-4820, 192Gb RAM
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dan.matlack
in reply to: Maxwell78

hello @Maxwell78 sorry for your frustration. It is my understanding that you need to be online during installation so that the license can be checked. I'm not sure why you cannot exchange your seat for a network license, seems reasonable. 🙂 I'm going to reach out to someone who knows more about the installation process than myself and get back to you. I know we have users on locked machines using Stingray so I'm sure there is a solution. Thanks for your patience. 

Message 3 of 6
__ben__

Licensing and activation issues for all Autodesk products can be addressed by our green button service team either by chat or phone:

Live Chat 
Phone number: +1 (866) 681-4359 ext 2

Message 4 of 6
Maxwell78
in reply to: dan.matlack

Hi @dan.matlack, thanks for the reply. I do find it odd that you're given the option of an offline activation if it still needs to be online to check. Surely that is not an offline activation!?

I have emailed our supplier, who bought it from an Autodesk reseller and he has said that the Autodesk reseller are adamant that they will not exchange the licence. A different battle than this one, but yes, it certainly adds to the frustration.

I suspect that my error in using my username instead of the licence account username is where it's gone a bit pear-shaped. I wondered if uninstalling and reinstalling a newer version might mean I have to go the activation process again?

I look forward to hearing from you and your knowledgeable colleague 🙂

Hi @__ben__, I appreciate that you're being helpful, thank you, but as I previously explained, I have tried that route already and met with more problems than answers!

Main machine: 2 x E5-2670v3, 64Gb RAM, Quadro M6000 24Gb ~ Render Server: 8 x E7-4820, 192Gb RAM
Message 5 of 6
dan.matlack

@Maxwell78 please email me at dan.matlack@autodesk.com and let's get this solved for you. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Maxwell78
in reply to: dan.matlack

hopefully got to the bottom of this.

Firewall problems plus a reseller assigning it to a new AD account instead of our existing one.

waiting for migration and *crosses fingers* I should be good to go

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report