Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning Content for Stingray

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
WesleyAdams
6515 Views, 25 Replies

Learning Content for Stingray

Just getting started with Stingray?

We've got material to help you out!

Games Solutions Learning Channel on YouTube:

This is a series of videos about Stingray by the Autodesk Learning Team. They'll be updating the playlist with new videos over time. They're pretty responsive to community requests on the videos, so feel free to log in and comment if there's something specific you'd like to see.

Check out the playlist on YouTube.

Autodesk Stingray Quick Start Series, with Josh from Digital Tutors:

We enlisted the help from Digital Tutors to set up a video series that runs through the major sections of Stingray so you can get up and running quickly.

Autodesk Make Games learning site:

This is a site that we've made for people who are brand new to making games. If you've never made a game before, or never touched complex 3D tools or a game engine, this is a good place to start. We run you through Concept Art and Design phases, 3D content creation, and then using a game engine. We've also made a bunch of assets available to help brand new game makers get started.

www.autodesk.com/MakeGames

Creative Market:

The Creative Market is a storefront where game makers can buy or sell 3D content. We've got a page set up just for Stingray, and it includes some free assets to help new game makers get started.

https://creativemarket.com/apps/stingray

Stingray Online Help

YHere you'll find more getting started movies, how-to topics, and references for the scripting and visual programming interfaces. We're working hard to get you all the info you need, and we're really excited to hear your feedback.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/Stingray/ENU/

Forum Support Tutorial Channel on YouTube:

This is a series of videos that answers recurring forums questions by the Autodesk Support Team. They'll be updating the playlist with new videos over time. They're pretty responsive to community requests on the videos, so feel free to log in and comment if there's something specific you'd like to see.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
_robbs_
in reply to: WesleyAdams

You can also check out the Stingray Help at this location:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/Stingray/ENU/

You'll find more getting started movies, how-to topics, and references for the scripting and visual programming interfaces. We're working hard to get you all the info you need, and we're really excited to hear your feedback.

Message 3 of 26
3TEN30

Awesome guys! Sharing all this content! I'm looking forward to allot of caffeine, tutorials and documentation! No sleep TONIGHT!

I'm excited! Robot Happy

Spoiler

Message 4 of 26
thomalex89

For Joshua Kinney's Digital Tutors tutorial is it possible to gain access to the project file that he is working with?  The Catfu files that are up don't correspond with the tutorial that Joshua is doing.  It seem as if Joshua assumes we have the project file and we don't or I should say I don't have them thanks for everything and Joshua did a great job with the tutorial.

Message 5 of 26
jrboddie

The QuickStart videos are outstanding.  They are the perfect length and well organized.  Thanks for making them available on launch day.

Message 6 of 26

Pls tell us how to put enemies in the game pls pls pls
Message 7 of 26

Hi thearshadnadeem,

Could you be a bit more specific on your request for information? Are you referring to NPCs or controlling AI?
Message 8 of 26

Thank you 🙂

i already got my answers at this page

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/stingray/ai-enemies-in-game/m-p/5807686#M1115

Message 9 of 26
KWKnoll

In lesson 7:
Stingray Quick Start - Lesson 07: Importing Assets

There are broken link from Strinray to Maya
the facilitator send the assett back to Maya to resolve the issue with the Hypershade function.
I don't have Maya installed, and to streamline the learning process, I was looking for a dataset that these steps don't need to be preformed.

I tried the process of copying all the assests into the new project witout sucess.

I only have 19 days left on my free trial, and I feel I am wasting it on this one issue of getting these units to have the appropriate materials.

Message 10 of 26
dan.matlack
in reply to: KWKnoll

@KWKnoll Hello 🙂

Would you mind starting a fresh thread and explaining exactly what it is you are having an issue with? Any particular tutorial that requires Maya, well unfortunately requires Maya 🙂 However I am sure we can help you with what it is you are trying to accompllish. Please start a new thread and be specific and I will help you get set up properly!

Thanks!

Message 11 of 26
KWKnoll

Do you know if any published books yet?
Message 12 of 26
_robbs_
in reply to: KWKnoll

No books published or in progress yet, as far as I know.  🙂

Message 13 of 26
Bennui

Thanks !

Wow it's amazing ! New Engine and lot of content to learn from !

Thank's again and see u in the Forums ! Smiley Happy

Benjamin Kraft
Game Developer || Programmer
Camoflaque, GmbH.
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Bennui

Hi,

I also very much appreciate the learning content already available for stingray. However, I think there is much more needed, not only tutorials, to attract more users or make it easier to start out for new people. Let me explain what I think is necessary:

1. Organize the forums. Right now, the stingray forums are a chaos. Please consider to add subforums, maybe like this:

General

Content Creation

Lua Scripting

Flow

Scaleform

HumanIK

WWise/Sound

Navigation

user created tutorials

Requests

2. Create a tutorial section on stingrays main website. From there,make all current video tutorials available

3. Documentation: Create more detailed documentation of all the engine's parts. Maybe include small tutorials. As an example, look at UE4s docs. 

4. Create more tutorials. They should be small and more or less self contained. maybe a step by step creation of a small game. the digital tutors tutorial series I really liked, but it seems like not finished. Also please always include all the files used in a tutorial. For example, the terrain tutorial is good, but there are no downloadable assets for it. Also consider doing not only video tutorials, but also text based tutorials. 

The following topics should be covered by tutorials:

- how to create a day/night cycle in LUA or flow

- how to save/load a game

- how to create an ingame GUI. For example take the navigation video tut and create a gui with a button that telsl the unit to move along the computed path (instead of starting the move when the level is loaded as in the current tutorial)

- in general more LUA

- how to create an inventory

- how to create effects like snow/rain

- I am sure other users have quite a few ideas as well 😉

5. Be more active on the blog. Ideally, make a blog post every week where you explain what's coming to stingray/maya lt. Also some kind of roadmap would be very cool. Others engines do this as well.

6. Marketplace: Put some more samples or starter kits on the marketplace. Make sure they are always up to date.

I listed a lot now I know. I really like stingray, and I want it to succeed and have a bigger userbase. I think it is easier than maybe UE4, but also very powerful. The problem is just that I feel one really has to search for information or tutorials in order to achive simple things, or there are examples missing on how to do something "the stingray way". I really hope some of these things could be considered. I am learning maya lt now mostly until there is more for stingray.

Just my two cents 😉

Message 15 of 26
dan.matlack
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous Thanks for the feedback! We are always working on making documentation and tutorials more accessible. Look for some updates in the near future 🙂

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: dan.matlack

Could you create a tutorial using the appkit? So that it explains the appkit step by step and also how to use the provided classes and components in a small real example. 

Message 17 of 26
dan.matlack
in reply to: Anonymous

Each of the templates, with the exception of 'empty', uses the appkit and provides examples of character, vehicle, vr and blank. Appkit info can be found here:

customizing: http://help.autodesk.com/view/Stingray/ENU/?guid=__stingray_help_creating_gameplay_scripting_with_lu...

what it's all about: http://help.autodesk.com/view/Stingray/ENU/?guid=__stingray_help_creating_gameplay_scripting_with_lu...
Message 18 of 26
rstubbs100

Hi all,

I really enjoyed the tutorials on getting started and very well put together...just lookig for a bit more advice on specific tutorials for Architectural VR workflows using Revit to Max to Stingray...cant seem to find much on YouTube...seem videos keep coming up.

I am currently using Project Expo as a trial but would like to really produce some of the high end photoreal CGI that I keep seeing in the demo...

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Robn

Message 19 of 26
dan.matlack
in reply to: rstubbs100

Hello,

We have a few arch viz projects coming available soon for download. It's really about how you set up your materials though. Any study on pbr materials will help you out. Learning lighting and material set up makes or breaks a 'realistic' type scene. Baking can help as well. Study how to unwrap your 3d models properly and texture properly with pbr diffuse, normal, metallic and roughness. 🙂
Message 20 of 26
alexandre_ssp
in reply to: dan.matlack

excellent tutorial on stingray You could do a tutorial for architecture

or informs know where I can find a tutorial for architecture

could the strangay do like the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyAg0h7uxv8

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report