Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child object automatically resizes when linked to a parent object

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
455 Views, 4 Replies

Child object automatically resizes when linked to a parent object

I have linked an box object to a gun,but when it goes in play mode.It automatically resizes a lot bigger then the actual size. What could be the possible solution?

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Shanii2
in reply to: Anonymous

By default when you link child units to parent, they get bounded to their initial pivot positions as seen in viewport if you didn't specify their nodes. so you have to rotate or translate the child unit to appropriate direction after you link them. For sizing issue I believe it resizes back to its default size (1,1,1) so you have to make sure it attains same size as you want by adding local scale after you link them.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Shanii2

Rotation and translation i can understand, but the resizing object is awkward. it should not happen.

Message 4 of 5
Shanii2
in reply to: Anonymous

Actually child object tends to match the parents Transform propertise. so if your parent is scaled (111). and you reduced the size (0.5 0.5 0.5)  then itll revert to what parent has or what it normally exists. same goes for translation and rotation as well and requires alot of iteration to properly adjust the child object to parent. as you would need to add transform functions in lua or flow after it has been linked i.e Local transforms.  My suggestion is to have a node, null object, locator, snap point or some sort of low poly proxy geometry at desired location and Orientation incorporated in the unit that has to be parent. Then you can link the unit to the node of the Parent object. then only a slight tweaking would requiring normally for rotation. Try that 🙂  

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Shanii2

Right ,

we need to reassign position and scale and also just for sharing knowledge who is reading , we need to be careful about the rotation as well, the rotation axis of the child object also changes which can create headache in any movement with respect to the parent object.But figured out a way to deal with that as well.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report