Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Up Axis orientation to Y

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
flaviosan
2505 Views, 4 Replies

Change Up Axis orientation to Y

Hello!

I'm creating a level that needs to have the Up Axis orientation to Y.

The default of the empty project is Z.

Just as I produce models in Maya with the "World Coordinate System" in "Up axis: Y" I need to do the same in the Stingray Editor.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paul.kind
in reply to: flaviosan

this is much easier the other way around.

In maya set your up-axis to Z (Window > Settings & Preferences > Preferences > Settings > World Coordinate System).  You will need to group everything in your scene and rotate it so it is upright on z, but that's easy enough.  then resend to stingray.  Stingrays up axis is always z so  setting maya to z up is the easiest way.  You could also do math to everything in your scene that is on the mesh level but, thats a big pain.

Paul

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 3 of 5
flaviosan
in reply to: paul.kind

I understood. It may work, but it may not. The saved level may be simple to solve but at best I will have a job of recombining the axis and reimagining the transformations so that it can be used with the Lua and other plugins. It will be an extra effort for lack of a basic option. I hope Autodesk deploys this functionality as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help,

Kind regards.

Message 4 of 5
paul.kind
in reply to: flaviosan

If you know you will be working in Stingray with your work, you may just want to set your maya Up Axis to Z and leave it there.  I have basically made that switchover.  I havent run into any problems by doing so.  Sadly Max uses Z Up and Maya uses Y up.  Since Z up is far more common, stingray too is Z up.  Its just a hassle for us maya users but like i posted above, its rather easy to fix.

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 5 of 5
flaviosan
in reply to: paul.kind

Okay, this solution might be temporary but I would really like to have more settings in the Stingray.

Thank you 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report