Community
Smoke Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Smoke Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Smoke topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMPORTANT: Mac OS X 10.9 Compatibility with Autodesk Smoke

57 REPLIES 57
SOLVED
Message 1 of 58
Robert.Adam
14974 Views, 57 Replies

IMPORTANT: Mac OS X 10.9 Compatibility with Autodesk Smoke

Hi everyone.

Autodesk is working closely with Apple to certify Autodesk® Smoke® software on the new Apple® Mac OS® X 10.9.

Until further notice, we recommend that you do not upgrade to 10.9 as you may experience degraded performance and other unexpected behavior.

Further updates on Smoke and Mac OS X 10.9 will be provided soon.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

57 REPLIES 57
Message 2 of 58
mikeparsons
in reply to: Robert.Adam

Any love for smoke 2012?
All's well that ends. That's why its called finishing.
Message 3 of 58
majush

I think more importantly, customers would love to know if they can go ahead and buy the new macbookpro and the graphics would be supported by smoke. People who were waiting to upgrade to new mbp would find it convenient to know asap without waiting for another 4 months for AD to come up with a greenlight.

** I am not a mbp user. so this is no way a personal requirement.

On Smoke 2016
Message 4 of 58

How about Mac OS 10.8.5? Has that been tested for Smoke on Mac 2013 Ext1?
Please let us know.
Thanks!
Message 5 of 58

Hi,

I have been running my MacBook Pro for sometime on 10.8.5 with Smoke 2013 ext 1 and it has been fine.

With Mavericks, I suspect there are some deep changes that Apple have done to the OS which Autodesk needs to pick apart and work with to make Smoke run properly.

I monitor tons of forums and I have seen loads of reports from people complaining that OS X 10.9 is crashing at an OS level more than previous versions of the operating system.

At best, it is worth sitting back until the OS has ironed its kinks out and Autodesk has had enough time with release version (not beta seeds) to make sure things work properly..

Regards
Grant

Grant Kay
Principal Learning Content Developer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Official Autodesk Flame Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/flamehowtos

The Official Autodesk Smoke Learning Channel
http://www.youtube.com/smokehowtos

Also available as podcasts on iTunes

Follow me on twitter @discreetuk for the latest training updates.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: Grant.Kay

Hi all.

We have not certified the new Mac Pro yet either.

As Grant has said, OS 10.8.5 is ok.

Regarding 10.9. We have been testing it since early betas in the summer and have found some performance issues with Smoke, that have persisted in subsequent OS 10.9 betas. We're still working on fixing that. That is why we strongly recommend against updating your OS for now.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 7 of 58

Thanks all!
Message 8 of 58
vedprakashs

Hello,

Already upgraded to OS X 10.9 NOW ? ? ?

What types of problems i can face ?

Regards,

Message 9 of 58
julioleon
in reply to: vedprakashs

Do you notice any issues? What machine are you running it on?

Smoke 2015 SP3
Mac Pro 6 cores
OS X 10.10
32 GB RAM
Message 10 of 58
ifffs_user

Hi Robert,

What about support for 2012?

Also wanted to know about the 2012 and the Quadro K5000 compatibility.

Thanks.

2012 SAP2 SP3
Kona 3G driver 10.3.2
Quadro 4000 driver 256.01.00f03
Cuda driver 4.2.10
Mac Pro (mid 2010)
12 Cores / 24 Gigs
CalDigit HD Pro2 (8TB, 723 MB/sec read)
Message 11 of 58
mikeparsons

I heard 2012 is working fine on Mavericks. I think you should upgrade straight away and let me know how you go 🙂

* This is based on a friend upgrading in Sydney who said he's had no issues - YMMV. 

best regards

Mike

All's well that ends. That's why its called finishing.
Message 12 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: mikeparsons

Hi guys.

Our warning currently applies to any version of Smoke. I know there are cases of users that have upgraded to Mavericks and haven't  seen any issues yet, but we strongly advise against it. We've noticed serious performance and stability issues and are still investigating them.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 13 of 58
ifffs_user

Thanks Robert.  Any word as far as k5000 being qualified with 2012?

Thanks.

2012 SAP2 SP3
Kona 3G driver 10.3.2
Quadro 4000 driver 256.01.00f03
Cuda driver 4.2.10
Mac Pro (mid 2010)
12 Cores / 24 Gigs
CalDigit HD Pro2 (8TB, 723 MB/sec read)
Message 14 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: ifffs_user

Hi.

At this time, the K5000 is only qualified with Smoke 2013 and newer running on Mac OS 10.8.

Unfortunately, I have not heard of any plans to qualify it with Smoke 2012.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 15 of 58
jimmotta

I have 2013 Ext1 running on a MacBook Retina with OS 10.8.5 with no issues. Personally I don't see a need for me to make the jump to 10.9

MacBook Pro Retina 15" - OS X 10.8.4 - 4TB G-tech G-Raid - Smoke 2013
MacPro 5,1 - OSX 10.8.5 - 64GB Ram - 12TB Pegasus RAID - 24 inch HP DreamColor - Smoke 2013 - Maya 2013
Message 16 of 58
stephen

Hello Robert, any update on 10.9 version. I have a brand new Macbook Pro, came with 10.9 already installed. Tried to install 2013, sp2 software freezes during loading, have to restart the machine to clear it. 

Would love to put this computer into production as I travel a lot & it's great to have smoke on the road!

Thanks

Stephen

Message 17 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: stephen

Hi Stephen.

The problem is that Mac OS 10.9 significantly changed the way textures are uploaded to the GPU, which results in a significant  performance decrease in Smoke (and other similar software).

We are working with Apple on finding the best way to address this situation.

I'm sorry I don't have better news at this point.

We will definitely publish an update on this forum and the Smoke Facebook page when we fix this issue.

Best regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 18 of 58
visualnoiz
in reply to: vedprakashs

On a MacBook Pro from 2011 I am seeing white boxes of snow every few seconds in 10.9 in smoke_2013.2.    Don't plan on editing if you upgrade. 

Luckily I have 2 Linux boxes with Flame 2014 so I'll have to go back to editing only on those instead of being mobile and I prefer to run 10.9 on my home system.

Message 19 of 58
Robert.Adam
in reply to: visualnoiz

Hi Dan.

If you still have the original 10.6 or 10.7 DVD that came with your Mac, you could create a new partition on your Mac's system drive and install 10.6/10.7 there just for Smoke. If you have purchased 10.8 from the app store, you can upgrade that partition to 10.8.

Regards,

Robert.

Robert Adam
Program Manager

Message 20 of 58
s.luzniak

Hello everyone, Happy New Year.. has there been any progress with the latest 10.9.1 update from Apple and Smoke? I am very eager to see what Smoke has to offer as I used to work in FCP, but my mac has already been upgraded with 10.9 I look forward to trying out Smoke soon (hopefully)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report