SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchbook Pro crashing since MacOS Big Sur update.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
burnall
1804 Views, 17 Replies

Sketchbook Pro crashing since MacOS Big Sur update.

Hey All- wondering if someone can help here. Sketchbook Pro (8.7.1 - 2019 11 12 23 31 (Build 685581a081)) has been crashing continually ever since my macOS upgrade to 11.0.1. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 11.12.27 AM.png

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
david.lau
in reply to: burnall

We  have reports of the MAC PRO 6,1 (2013-2018) to be problematic with SketchBook.  The only solution at the time is to downgrade back to Catalina.

To cleanly install Catalina on your Mac Pro 2013:

1. Get a 16 GB USB Drive.

1. Download Catalina here and it will download to “Applications” folder:   https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?mt=12
  2. We  this tool to build USB images. When you run it should detect Catalina in Applications Folder:  https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/ 
  3. Backup using Time Machine.
  4. When you re-install the OS, you will need to remove the duplicate “APFS” Drives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuGGWVT39-U

By default, if you upgrade, it should 1 drive.   If you want a clean format and install, you need to use Disk Utility to remove the APFS partitions.  We didn’t do this on a test QA MacBook Pro and we had 7 x partitions of Macintosh HD-Data drives from all the installs of the Mac Operating systems!

David Lau
Message 3 of 18
burnall

I see. Thanks for your response.

Message 4 of 18
davejcummings
in reply to: david.lau

Well, what about those who have M1 macs and don't have the luxury to downgrade to Catalina?

Message 5 of 18
SooCoor

Autodesk, what are you guys doing about this? When will this work well with Big Sur? I am currently using the enterprise 7 version on big sur (which doesn't work at all). Hearing that 8 crashes with Big Sur makes be nervous to upgrade. I use this software as a primary tool!! Please do something

Message 6 of 18
SooCoor

Autodesk, what are you guys doing about this? When will this work well with Big Sur? My company is forcing us to upgrade for security reasons. I can't go back to Catalina. I am currently using the enterprise 7 version on big sur (which doesn't work at all). Hearing that 8 crashes with Big Sur makes be nervous to upgrade. I use this software as a primary tool!! Please do something

Message 7 of 18
david.lau

@davejcummings  > What is the exact M1 Mac that you are running

@SooCoor > Please use the latest 8.x that can be downloaded here:  

https://www.autodesk.com/products/sketchbook/free-download

This is the latest 8.7.x version.

David Lau
Message 8 of 18
SooCoor

Thanks for the quick reply David!!🙂

So has 8.7 been optimized for Big Sur?

Message 9 of 18
david.lau
in reply to: SooCoor

8.7.x will run better than 7.x.  8.7 will allow you to download and use the 'brush' sets that can be downloaded here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketchbook-forum/tip-sketchbook-blog-site-amp-archive-of-extra-brushe...

David Lau
Message 10 of 18
davejcummings

I have the M1 Macbook Air.   I use Sidecar to use my iPad as a 2nd screen and most apps work fine, though the line quality is a bit squirrelly on Sketchbook. Granted,  if the iPad Sketchbook App was ever updated to allow me to load the brushes I have on the desktop app, it wouldn't even be an issue 

Message 11 of 18
Hairbal1

Any updates to Big Sur compatability on the horizon? I returned my M1 silicon macbook and traded back to a macbook intel just because I cant use my main moneymaker, SketchBook. Cost me wasted time. Now SB works sometimes, other times there is a giant lagoon and will not calibrate. very erratic. I have no alternative to get back to Catalina. Can you give us hope that Autodesk hasn't abandoned SB?

Message 12 of 18
davejcummings
in reply to: Hairbal1

It's been working fine for the most part on my M1 Macbook Air. My only problem with it both using it on my iPad using Astropad or Sidecar as well as on my Cintiq since going to Big Sur has to do with the random pressure issues. Things will work fine, then the line would randomly blow up big. I had problems with that on both my M1 Macbook as well as the 2 Intel Macbook Pros that I had, all of which were using Big Sur
Message 13 of 18
Hairbal1
in reply to: davejcummings

I still can't rely on a stable SketchBook on my 13" Macbook Pro M1 Big Sur. It may work for bit normally, then reverts to an enlarged corner lagoon and no stylus (no calibration) function. Does not activate Rosetta 2. I returned the 13" mbp and traded for a "16 mbp Intel with Big Sur thinking it was the Silicon chip. Appe told me one cannot downgrade to Catalina after Nov 2020. Big Sur is the Big Problem. So, returned that one and they sent back the 13" which I'll have to sell on my own. Unless... SketchBook support people can tell me soon if and when a fix or an updated SketchBook is coming. (??!!)

Message 14 of 18
SooCoor

am having 2 issues with the latest version . . .

Text not showing up on tabs in the preference panel . . . 

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 5.22.21 PM.png

Preview window not working on image adjust feature. This one has been a huge annoyance so far since I use this feature a lot . . .
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 5.22.44 PM.png

Here are my system specs . . .
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 5.35.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 5.27.11 PM.png

Message 15 of 18
david.lau

Thanks for the info and confirmation of the issue.  This has already been logged in our system.

David Lau
Message 16 of 18
SooCoor

I attached a video of more issues I am having. Screen goes blank when renaming a layer. Color of objects altered when moving other objects.

Message 17 of 18
SooCoor

layers also disappear sometimes when I move them.
Message 18 of 18
SooCoor

layers also sometime disappear when I move them in the layers panel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report