SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Ruler measurements

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
6551 Views, 11 Replies

Feature Request: Ruler measurements

I'm going through Scott Robertson's, How to Draw book and i'm starting to get to the point where I need to measure a line in order to subdivide it. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way of measuring the line, which means that I have to divide the line by eye. This not a viable solution long term.

Autodesk was founded on making CAD software, which is all about lines and measurements. Why on earth hasn't this feature been enabled into the ruler function of an Autodesk product???  Please include this feature.

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.   I have logged the suggestion with the development team.  At this time, the ruler is really just a 'straight edge'.

David Lau
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Please add a ruler (that has measurements.  A grid will work as well.  But and ruler that allows user to select scale (inches, mm, etc. will be amazing)

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going through Scott Robertson's, How to Draw book and i'm starting to get to the point where I need to measure a line in order to subdivide it. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way of measuring the line, which means that I have to divide the line by eye. This not a viable solution long term.

Autodesk was founded on making CAD software, which is all about lines and measurements. Why on earth hasn't this feature been enabled into the ruler function of an Autodesk product???  Please include this feature.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

I totaly need a ruler to graduate in perspective drawing. Who can provide this option?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Thank you for logging the request.  Any update on when it will be added to the "ruler"?

I am an architect using Autodesk products.  Sketchbook has been a great product to draw details and share electronically with my team.  The largest feature in need of change is being able to draw to scale.  Sketchbook is a great tool for art in general, industrial design, and architecture.  Adding a scale to the ruler would be top notch!!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Desperately need to set dimensions to the Rectangle and Circle tools too. I use Autodesk Fusion 360. Dimension tool similar to fusion would be he best in my opinion. Thanks.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

If Autodesk does not provide a scaleable ruler for Sketchbook, when Morpholio Trace provides a Windows product Sketchbook will be rendered useless...

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Mr. Lau,

There is no resolution yet, on adding a measuring rule on the straight edge to measure in pixels, metric, imperial, etc.  Any chance there is an estimated development timeline on the possible addition of this feature? Thank you for your time--

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Yup, the measurement feature is pretty much what drove me to Morpholio for iPad 

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Ruler issue. Potential Aid.

My students are using Autodesk Sketchbook pro to create freehand sketches, isometric and orthographic projection drawings. This is the only software on the Windows 10 platform that is similar to drawing on paper, is free of charge and not computer resource hungry. 

The lack of a ruler was/is a pain in the neck. However, if you have a problem, you don't stop, you improvise, adapt and overcome it. 

An A3 sized paper is 420mm in length and 297mm in height. It will have 4956 pixels wide by 3504 pixels in height. This is based on a canvas that has 300dpi. Every 10mm will equal 118 pixels. 

If you set your canvas anchor point in the bottom left hand side, that will be set at 0,0. 

You have two options - create a layer and draw a ruler onto it (it will be rough). Or find an image of a ruler on the internet and insert it into another layer and ensure it fits correctly. You can use it to create a drawing with some degree of accuracy. 

However, this can take time to set up. Ensure you save the drawing as a template. 

Hope its helps.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

That is a great work around!  I appreciate the suggestion and will give it a try.  

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I am new to sketchbook and would like a video on how to do this, or a step by step instruction. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report