Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD to Simulation trouble-shooting

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
308 Views, 1 Reply

CFD to Simulation trouble-shooting

Greetings,

I'm fairly new to CFD and Simulate Mechanical, but am questioning some results that I'm getting.

What I intend to happen is to inject 900°F fluid into 400°F flow, and determine the associated thermal stresses associated with this action. Attached you'll find a screenshot of the results from CFD, as well as what the alleged stresses are.

It looks like to me somehow the temperatures are somehow misplaced in the conversion. As the region is relatively low-poly, it appears as 4 blobs around the perimeter of a non-existing injection point.

Any thoughts you have will be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
KubliJ
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Michael,

Thermal stress is caused by parts changing temperature compared to how they were originally constrained.  So a part that is not constrained in a way to prevent thermal movement will not generate any stress.  Temperature gradients alone will not cause stress.

Looking at your model, my best guess is that you have at least a symmetry constrain, but how are the ends of the pipe constrained?  Assuming you have them fixed, or constrained in a way to prevent thermal expansion/contraction then I would say there is definitely something wrong with CFD to Mech.  Could you share your model to look at?

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report