Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reduce file size after FEA

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
251 Views, 2 Replies

Can't reduce file size after FEA

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the file size of some parts that had FEA run on them.  I originally did a stress analysis on a couple of parts and assemblies.  I have since copied these parts/assemblies to make additional ones of different sizes, not realizing that the FEA analysis would get copied along with it.  As was discussed in an earlier post, this prompted the issue with the Resolve Link screen popping up.  Per the recommendation in that post, I was able to break the links to the FEA files which took care of the Resolve Link issue but did nothing for the file size.  Per another recommendation, I have also gone in and deleted the study from the Stress Analysis browser, but again, no change in file size.  If it matters, these parts were originally created (and FEA done) in Inventor 2013.  We have since switched to 2016.  That being said, we did see this issue while we were still using 2013.  If this file size issue was only limited to 1 or 2 parts, I would probably just live with it and move on.  However, as I stated earlier, these initial parts and assemblies that I did the FEA on were then copied to make similar parts of varying sizes, so I now have a whole slew of them in an already huge top level assembly.  Just to put the file size into perspective, the part is a simple sheet metal part with 2 bends and a handful of holes/slot.  It is coming in at 3.8MB whereas a similar part without the FEA is only 400KB.  The assembly that I'm having issues with only consists of 4 simple parts (again sheet metal parts) and yet is over 75MB with the FEA.  Does anyone know of anything else that I can try to reduce these file sizes?  I no longer need the FEA portion, but I can't seem to rid the files of it, assuming that is truly where the large file size is coming from  The top level assembly that these (and the copies) are a part of now takes about 30 minutes just to open.  HELP!

Thanks,

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Chris,

I believe you are referring to the stress analysis built-in to Inventor. You might need to post your information to the Inventor forum to get a more in-depth answer. (This forum covers the stand alone program named Simulation Mechanical.)

I did a quick search of our knowledge base, and one of these might be a solution to your problem:

Autodesk Inventor: How to delete unresolved references from FEA anlysis

Inventor 2013 stress analysis file bloat

Good luck.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thanks John.  I'll definitely repost it there.  I didn't realize.  Regarding the other links, those are the ones that I was referring to in my original post. 

Thanks again,

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report