Community
SimStudio Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s SimStudio Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular SimStudio topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Add-ins menu in SimStudio toolbar

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sg16979
778 Views, 6 Replies

Missing Add-ins menu in SimStudio toolbar

Hello Autodesk community,

I'm new to Autodesk CFD 2016. I got Simstudio automatically installed with the simulation software and I'm starting to learn how to use it.

I imported a STL file and after doing some changes to it I wanted to launch it directly to the design simulation using the Add-ins menu, but it was nowhere to be found in the Simstudio toolbar and I couldn't work out any way to customize it to make it appear.

I had understood that for the 2016 version the add-ins were also automatically installed with Autodesk CFD, but now I don't know if there is something else that I have to activate or download. Hope you can give me a hand. Thanks!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tyler.henderson
in reply to: sg16979

You are correct.  You should be seeing the CFD add-in on the right side of the toolbar. Before trying the below options, try closing SimStudio Tools, then open CFD and sign-in to your account, then re-start SimStudio Tools.

If that doesn't work, then try resetting your toolbar customization.  Just right-click anywhere on the toolbar.  If that doesn't work, you can try the "Reset to Default Layout" command on the 3-bar button (upper-left), then "View".

Tyler Henderson
Principal User Experience Designer

Message 3 of 7
sg16979
in reply to: tyler.henderson

Thanks a lot Tyler for the quick response. Last option worked for me.

Cheers!

Message 4 of 7
jdx4
in reply to: sg16979

Didn't work for me ...

Is the invisible Add-ins menu the only way to get a design from SimStudio into CFD??

Message 5 of 7
tyler.henderson
in reply to: jdx4

You can always export the design from SimStudio as a neutral file format, then import/open in CFD.

Tyler Henderson

Message 6 of 7

Hi! I faced the same problem today and tried to solve it as you suggested. None of the suggestions worked unfortunately. I have even reinstalled the SimStudio, Add-ins still not there. But I could import the SAT file into CFD tool as explained here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/cfd/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/SimCFD/fi... However after saving the Design Study, I can't reopen it! The error is: "CAD geometry cannot be read" Any ideas? Thanks!
Message 7 of 7

Hi Michael, if you're having trouble opening a previously saved Design Study in Autodesk CFD, it could be a CFD issue.  Maybe try posting the issue in the CFD Forum: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/cfd-forum/bd-p/330

It's also possible that the version of SAT generated by SimStudio is too old for CFD.  SimStudio is no longer maintained by Autodesk so it will not produce the latest versions of CAD files.  I recommend trying Autodesk Fusion 360.  It has all of the tools of SimStudio and much more.  It also has the direct connection to CFD so you can make model edits/simplifications then transfer directly to CFD.

Tyler Henderson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report