Community
SimStudio Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s SimStudio Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular SimStudio topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see or fix naked edges with SimStudio

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sg16979
826 Views, 5 Replies

Can't see or fix naked edges with SimStudio

Hello all Autodesk community,

I have an issue related to SimStudio tools. I've created a fish-shaped model using Nurbs modelling (Maya) and it has naked edges that I'm not able to close in Maya itself. I have saved it as an *.igs file.  When I open it in other 3D programs I can see them there (screenshot 1). The reason for this is that they are the result of booleans operations that yielded "trimmed surfaces" that can't be attached using the program. Hence, I get an error when importing it to the CFD simulation because the model is not watertight (solid).

I tried to use SimStudio tools to localize and repair the holes as I was suggested in a previous thread, but the program doesn't seem to find any (screenshot 2).

Am I doing this in the right way? Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tyler.henderson
in reply to: sg16979

Can you share the SimStudio Tools file with me?  I can see if I can repair it for you then tell you how I did it.

Tyler Henderson
Principal User Experience Designer

Message 3 of 6
sg16979
in reply to: tyler.henderson

Hello Tyler,

Thank you for replying. I've attached two files, the Simstudio file and the igs that I made in Maya, just in case (I work with *.igs files, so after processing by Simstudio I'd like to export it again to *.igs.

Thanks a lot for taking a look at it!!

Message 4 of 6
sg16979

Hello again,

I found a way around my problem (closing the geometry so it can become a solid and run CFD simulations). I opened it in other 3D program, closed it there and saved it as a STEP file instead of IGS. In this format the information about the joined polysurfaces was maintained and it was read as a solid by Autodesk CFD.

I'm still curious as to why SimStudio Tools didn't recognize the gaps, could it be also because of the file format?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
tyler.henderson

Hi,

I took a look at your model in SimStudio Tools.  I could not find any problems with the geometry.  I also exported the file from SST as .IGS and then opened it in Autodesk Inventor.  It was recognized as a watertight solid in Inventor.  So, I think that it may be an issue with CFD.  Maybe CFD is more sensitive or has a smaller tolerance for its geometry check.

It's no surprise that the STEP export was successful.  I definitely recommend using STEP over IGES whenever possible.  In many cases you'll get a much better solid result with STEP.

I'm glad you found a successful workaround.

Tyler Henderson
Principal User Experience Designer

Message 6 of 6
sg16979
in reply to: tyler.henderson

Hello,

Thanks for taking a look at my model and for your comments! Knowing that Autodesk Inventor can recognize it as a solid also makes me think it could be a case of difference in the tolerances between the programs. I had previously tried to modify the tolerance values using the Flag Manager in CFD as it is explained in a chapter of Autodesk knowledge (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/cfd/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Model-impo...), unfortunately I couldn't make it work.

Definitely from now on I will work with STEP files to avoid this kind of issues.

Cheers and thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report