Screencast Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Screencast Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Screencast topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface too small to use on 4k monitor

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tima123d
1630 Views, 9 Replies

Interface too small to use on 4k monitor

Seriously, it is really tiny on my 4k screen. I can't even grab the toolbar to move it to a different part of the screen because it isn't wide enough to have a title.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
EricStover
in reply to: tima123d

Sorry about the poor quality - can you post an image of your display with Screencast - I'd like to attach that for our defect report for the team to see. (We don't have a 4k monitor in our team's office.) 

Eric Stover
General Manager- Screencast

Autodesk, Inc.
1 Market Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94105
Message 3 of 10
jpr26
in reply to: EricStover

I have the same problem with the HDPI screen of my Surface Book (see max_default.png)

It is possible in Windows 10 to override the application scaling settings by opening the Properties dialog box of screencast.exe, Compatibility tab, "Override high DPI..." and choosing "System". This restores the correct UI scaling albeit with noticeable pixelation (max_override.png). Unfortunately this breaks the actual screen recording function which now only records the top left corner of the screen (reads the monitor as having half the resolution that it actually has due to the scaling override).

Please look at fixing this as it will affect any Windows 10 user with their system scaling set higher than 100%. (200% by default on MS Surface devices)

Edit: There's an MSDN page covering HDPI here that might help fix this bug.

Message 4 of 10
Pointdump

Tima,ScreenCast1.png

"Seriously, it is really tiny on my 4k screen. I can't even grab the toolbar to move it to a different part of the screen because it isn't wide enough to have a title."

Yup. That's me as well. 1" high and 2" wide on my new 50" 4K monitor. I can't move it either. And when I tried using it anyway, it cuts off half of the recording screen. Shame, because I really liked ScreenCast on my old monitor.

I've heard of methods to <<<manually scale programs with a Manifest>>>, but I can't find enough information to proceed confidently. It would be really nice if Autodesk would fix the 4K resolution problem. I also have screen resolution problems with AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018, which Autodesk erroneously says is "solved".

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 10
autodeskGF59Z
in reply to: EricStover

I don't think you need a 4K monitor to test this issue - just go into the Windows 10 display settings and set scaling above 100%:

screencast_windows_display_settings.PNG

The image Screendump posted isn't quite representative of the problem, here's one with this thread as a background.

This is on a screen that's physically only 15", the entire Screencast window is only an inch wide. Postage stamp!

And I have tried to fix scaling with the Windows compatibility settings. It fixed the app display, but badly breaks recording!

screencast_tiny.PNG

Message 6 of 10
ddeike
in reply to: autodeskGF59Z

We are actively looking into compatibility issues with 4K monitors. Thank you for reporting it. 

Derek Deike
Product Manager
Message 7 of 10
autodeskGF59Z

Thank you ddeike.

A tricky edge case the testing should include: where a computer has both a high-dpi monitor with scaling AND a monitor with different or no scaling. (eg a modern laptop with external monitor)
Screencast could be located on either monitor, and the target window could be on either monitor.

(I imagine there's all sorts of extra information that Screencast needs to be aware of)
Message 8 of 10
Scoox
in reply to: ddeike

@ddeike Any progress on this one? Thanks

Message 9 of 10
Pointdump
in reply to: Scoox

Manuel,

Give 'em time, son. 4K monitors have only been out for 4 years, and even though 4K monitors are about all you can get anymore, things grind slowly with Autodesk. They've only been "actively looking into compatibility issues with 4K monitors" since February.

It's hard to complain about a free program, but still...

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 10 of 10
neljoshua
in reply to: ddeike

@ddeike,

Any updates on this? Screencast is unusable with a 4k monitor right now.

__

If this post answered your question, please select "Mark as Solution" in order to help others who may have the same (or a similar) question.

Lenovo Thinkpad P1, 2.70 GHz Intel Xeon, 32.0 GB, Windows 10 Pro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report