Announcements
The Scaleform forum is now read-only. Please head to the Gamedev site for product support.
Scaleform Forum (Read Only)
Scaleform enables developers to leverage the power of the Adobe® Flash® tool set to create powerful user interface environments for video games.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dll not found exception

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
am964
2347 Views, 19 Replies

dll not found exception

Hello:
Some of you might get a “dllnotfound” exception while running the HelloWorldDemo.

We have identified that this exception is caused due to a missing dll that is on the dependency list of libgfxunity.dll. You can use the following tool:
http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

to view the dependency tree of our dll.

If you get the “dll not found” exception, it is likely that d3dx9_43.dll is missing on the target computer, which is causing the main integration dll to not load.
You should be able to rectify this problem by just downloading the latest DirectX runtime. We will soon supply the complete integration package which will allow you to rebuild the dll on your machine. In this case, the generated libgfxunity3d.dll will automatically have the correct dependency.
Thanks and please let us know if you encounter any other problems with using the integration.
-Ankur

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
PaulForest
in reply to: am964

When redistributing on Windows, installing DirectX does seem to solve the problem of getting Scaleform to run in built Unity apps for most users.

But we do have one user for whom this technique does not work, and we can't seem to piece together what the issue is.

The actual problem is that the Flash content does not get shown or appear to be running on this one computer. Same build, same DirectX runtime, same OS. The rest of the Unity app runs just fine.

Any advice?

Unity build: Windows 32-bit, not development build
App: Hello World example

We're even getting this in the output_log.txt on the problematic machine, from Scaleform if I'm not mistaken:
ASVersion:
AS3

Normally for Unity builds, your AppName_Data/output_log.txt contains any issues with being unable to find dll files, but we're ok there. output_log.txt is identical from on the problematic machine and a non-problematic machine.
FYI there is no mention of Plugin/*.dll in this file, only Managed/*.dll files.

Thanks in advance!
Message 3 of 20
castor76_1

I can't be 100 sure yet, but I also have the similar issue of dll not found.

But When I run it on windows platform (build setting in Unity) it works fine. When I switch to Android build platform in Unity, it throws dll not found error?

Could this be one of the reason?
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

I'm definitely seeing this dll not found exception issue but only on particular computers in our office. I've installed the latest DirectX runtime and restarted the computer with the issue and that didn't help. I've attached the log file for our game. You can see it either can't find the scaleform dll or one of it's dependencies while initializing the scaleform components.

output_log.zip

Message 5 of 20
castor76_1

Spoke to one of our programmer and he thinks it might be bug in Unity scaleform script side where you still have to load dll for windows editor play back even if build setting is Android, but it fails to do so because of the bug.

Not 100% sure if it is but I think it is worth while direction for Unity team to check out.
Message 6 of 20
castor76_1
in reply to: castor76_1

I can definitly confirm that for Android evaluation version , HelloWorldDemo causes missing dll error when you play it in the editor.
Message 7 of 20
castor76_1
in reply to: castor76_1

Any news about missing dll issue for Android build setting and playing through Unity Editor?
Message 8 of 20

This issue was fixed in patch 3. You will need to change from Android build to PC build to test your content in the editor though.

However, we are investigating previewing content in editor while the platform is set to Android or iOS.

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 9 of 20
castor76_1

I have just edited SFCamera script to make it work both for editor and android build mode.

Just couple of #if statement adding && UNITY_EDITOR lines.

I think it should be very easy for Autodesk to do this since lowly artist like myself was able to do it. 😄 If you wish to take a look at the modified script just let me know.

I personally think this got to work and be builtin in the package. I do not wish to modify sfcamera everytime I update scaleform.
Message 10 of 20

By all means. Please post your solution here for everyone. We intend to get to this ourselves, but understand that our resources are not unlimited, and there are alot of tasks we're working on to continue to improve the integration. We must prioritize those tasks by urgency as well. Thanks!

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 11 of 20
castor76_1

Sure, here is the modified SFcamera.cs that will make Scaleform to work both on Android build mode and playing using Unity Editor. Note I have not modified this yet to work with IOS and Mac Unity Editor. When I get around doing that, I will post updated one too.

sfcamera.zip

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

I have the same exact issues.
One of our game is working on two computers but generate this error on 5 others computers.
I tried to re-install direct X with no success.

Is there any official support/feedback about this case ?

Thanks ,

Peter
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Guys ,

If you have this issue ( Dll missing where the DLL is here ).
This is an easy fix and it's mostly a DLL dependencie issue.

Scaleform need directX and the microsoft c++ redistruable ( both x86 and x64 to be safe ).

If you install this you will be good to go.

Peter
Message 14 of 20
castor76_1
in reply to: Anonymous

There is known issue with running Scaleform in Windows Editor mode while your build setting is set at Android.
The script I have posted above kinda fixes it but I also found that I had to run game twice to get it to work. First time around I still get dll not found error... I hope Autodesk officially fix this issue for the next patch for sure.
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

Guys ,

If you have this issue ( Dll missing where the DLL is here ).
This is an easy fix and it's mostly a DLL dependencie issue.

Scaleform need directX and the microsoft c++ redistruable ( both x86 and x64 to be safe ).

If you install this you will be good to go.

Peter

I'm getting the error and installing both (then restarting, rebuilding the project etc) did not help. It works fine on my partner's computer. I'm running Win 7 64 bit. DX was already up to date. Previous scaleform versions worked.

Edit: I was building out to x64, it works fine if I build to x86.
Message 16 of 20
matrix211v1

I'm getting gfxunity3d not found when I run it on a Android device using the HelloWorldDemo and I am looking at the debug in logcat.

Running Windows 7 x64 with a nVidia GTX 650ti
Using Eval Version of Scaleform for Unity (Downloaded 2013-1-13)
Unity 3.5.6 Pro

Is there a way to fix this?

Message 17 of 20
matrix211v1
in reply to: matrix211v1

*Bump*

Anyone? My trial is about to run out and trying to get this resolved.
Message 18 of 20
Cubed

Same issue. I am not compiling for android though. Won't compile for PC. Tried installing direct x and no luck.
Message 19 of 20
PeachTea

Please rename libgfxunity3d.dll to gfxunity3d.dll as work-around

In deploy to Android, Please rename libgfxunity3d.so to gfxunity3d.so as work-around

For the moderators,
please re-look into the lib and missing lib prefix in Unity3d. This is a known issue. 😞

The problem occurs in Unity4xx and not in Unity3xx.
Message 20 of 20
micsun

Is there a way to try catch this or maybe some way to detect if they don't have it installed before the required things get called?

I'd like to give the user a message box that informs them they need to install the DirectX runtime and then direct them to the page and close the game...but to do this I'll need some way to detect this problem first.

We don't have an installer or patcher created yet, we just distribute the game in a zip file (early stages).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report