Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset Deflection Problem

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ByrnePM
558 Views, 3 Replies

Offset Deflection Problem

Hi all,

I am trying to apply an offset for a simple connection of a beam to column (See Fig 1 and 2 below). This is in order to simulate the eccentric loading at the connection between beam and column (large UB sections are being used for the columns).

After applying the offset and analysing the structure, the deflections of the beams and columns at the location of the offset have increased hugely, (the offset has lead to a mechanism being formed? ) see Fig 3 below.

Does anyone know the possible reasoning behind this ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: ByrnePM

My understanding is that without these offsets the results are as expected - is this correct? If yes, have you ignored any displayed warnings? If not, could you attach the model?  

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 4
ByrnePM
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Yes Artur, the results are as expected without the offset applied (see Fig 1 below).

No warnings are displayed during the analysis of the structure.

Message 4 of 4
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: ByrnePM

First of  all mind to display exact deformations rather than deformations when you have such definitions of offsets. In addition I would remove the releases for inclined columns so to avoid the situation that all bars which meet in the common node have bending releases defined (and then of course I would check the value of bending moments for the bars  deleted the releases from 🙂 ). 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report