Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foundation elasticity

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
mdadela
1021 Views, 14 Replies

Foundation elasticity

Hi,

I have modelled a concrete tank on elastic soil by defying elastic planar support. Then I wanted to see the reaction map so I defined foundation elasticity to get it. But I have noticed all the results have been changed.

My question is: Can we use both methods simultaneously? I mean can we define elastic support and foundation elasticity at one time?

And:

Which way of modelling elastic support is better? (Because the results are different)

Please find my file attached.

Regards

Marek

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
stm1A
in reply to: mdadela

HI,

I usually define an elastic paramiter k for ground slab,

than see results of ground earth tension with maps results for "soil reaction K".

i would link central pillar directly on slab.

Cattura.JPG

Message 3 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

My question is: Can we use both methods simultaneously? I mean can we define elastic support and foundation elasticity at one time?

No, as in this way you define boundary conditions two times (they add up). 

Which way of modelling elastic support is better? (Because the results are different)

For the same values the results should be the same (or similar as for the surface supports the tricky part are the nodes on the common edges between panels especially when different KZ are assigned) however if you want to see the map you should use the elastic soil. 

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 15
mdadela
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur,

You said: 'For the same values the results should be the same'. I have just done a quick check in a file as attached and the results are significantly difeerent. For instance see the bending moments in a base slab in attached PDF.

Marek

Message 5 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Let's simplify this. Could you create a model with the bottom slabs only defined side by side and with both types of boundary conditions please? If the results are different attach it. Thank you. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 15
mdadela

Thank you, Artur, for your attention, I believe this simplified model you mentioned would work, but what about more complex situation, as in my tank case? I am interested in this particular model and still I don't know which way of defining elastic soil is more adequate. 

Marek

Message 7 of 15
stm1A

hi 

if you want to see the map you should use the elastic soil.

just a question about your model:

how can you create new windows with some panel only? like windows with top slab, windows with walls...

thank you

Message 8 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Personally as stm1A I'd use elastic soil in the definition of panel's thickness. 

Going back to the surface elastic supports mind not to mark this check box:

surface elastic support.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

For the model you attached:

example soilKZ.png

Example surface support KZ1.png

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 15
mdadela
in reply to: stm1A

Pick a panel and then use this button:

12.png

Message 11 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 15
mdadela

Actually I didn't realize the importance of the "constant elastic coef. at support nodes". And I could not find the explanation in the help files. Could you tell me the exact purpose of this tick. Does it mean that in every single node the coefficient is the same, otherwise the coefficient is calculated in relation to the size of the finite element? Is that right?

Marek

Message 13 of 15
Artur.Kosakowski

Correct.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 15
mdadela

Thank you very much, Artur.

Message 15 of 15
dineshvekariya123

SLAB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report