Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planar support

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
davidVGKKE
1672 Views, 9 Replies

Planar support

I have created a planar support  but it raised some questions:

1 - Why when I hit ok on Building soils - Calculation of K coeficiente window KZ value is not transfered to support definition window as it was supposed to do according to robot help?  (Since K value is not transfered i have to convert from kip/ft3 to kN/m and type it in the field on support definition window )

2 - Why is KZ expressed as kiP/ft3 on building soils and as KN/m on support definition window?

3 - Why the units doesn't change to international units since I set it up to international unit system on Jobs preferences window?

4 - Does the KZ generated by FE thickness, whose unit is kN/m3, the same KZ seen in support definition window, whose unit is kN/m? Do they have to be equal?

ElasticFoundationCoeficient.pngElasticSupport.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

1 - Why when I hit ok on Building soils - Calculation of K coeficiente window KZ value is not transfered to support definition window as it was supposed to do according to robot help?  (Since K value is not transfered i have to convert from kip/ft3 to kN/m and type it in the field on support definition window )

This works for a spread footing mode only. For other two modes you need to copy the value via clipboard.

2 - Why is KZ expressed as kiP/ft3 on building soils and as KN/m on support definition window?

and

3 - Why the units doesn't change to international units since I set it up to international unit system on Jobs preferences window?

Try these steps: 

soil calculator units.png

4 - Does the KZ generated by FE thickness, whose unit is kN/m3, the same KZ seen in support definition window, whose unit is kN/m? Do they have to be equal?

They are the same kN/m3

units4.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 10

Thanks Artur for you reply.

How can the both KZ  be equal if they have different units (kN/m3 and kN/m) ?

Message 4 of 10

1/m2 and kN/m = kN/m3 (see the yellow marked parts of the screen capture I attached in my previous answer).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 10

Artur I'm talking about the KZ generate by thickness that comes in kN/m3 and KZ generate ou typed on support definition. Ok if I divide (kN/m3)/(1/m2) I'll get kN/m, but why does Robot do it? Is it just a better way to work with this coeficient?

If so, then, I can call both of them as elastic foundation coeficient?

KZ.png

Message 6 of 10

units5.PNG

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 10

Do you mean the number 3 is missing in kN/mon support definition window?

Message 8 of 10

No, what I mean is that you should combine the 'general units for planar supports 1/m2 displayed in the top right corner with the units for particular field (kN/m) which stands for kN/m3 in total 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 10

Could you give me an example of combination I should do?

Are the numbers shown on the windows (10996,13 kN/m3; 1000 kN/m; 1000 kN/m) such combination, if so, what kind of combinations was done?)

Message 10 of 10

I just made the screen captures with random values (my mistake as I assumed we are discussing units) and they should be all the same. 

So if you have 1000 kN/m3 for elastic ground in the thickness dialog and then you enter 1000  in the UZ field of the planar support definition they are the same as when you multiply units [1/m2] * [kN/m] you have 1000 kN/m3

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report