Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irregular panel map results for moment and shear at panel where panels join

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
skellyRSA2023
544 Views, 3 Replies

Irregular panel map results for moment and shear at panel where panels join

Hi, 

i was wondering could anyone help me, i have modelled the attached RC ground Chamber. The capping slab seems to give slightly strange panel maps for moments and shears where one slab panel connects to the other? i.e. very high shear and moment on side of the panel joint and low results on the other? as if they were not fully connected? however they seem to be by inspection. The panels where initially separate panels and i used the panel merge API to join them and this is the only joints in the capping slab which the API would not let me join. and they seem to be giving irregular results. Has anyone come across this before? Any help on the issue would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

S. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Rafacascudo
in reply to: skellyRSA2023

load 10 is a ULS combination .Loads 11 and 12 are the max and min envelopes for this ULS comb.

Showing maps for loads 10to12 does not make sense. The picture you sent is showing the maps for ULS- (load 12) and it is envelope , so it shows the minimum values for each of the FEs and most of the time ,it doesn´t have a logic sense. One FE maybe showing the value for a certain load component and its neighbor FE can be showing the value for a very different component.

Choose DL1 and you will see  smaller peak moments and shear.

Also , try a 10cm mesh and you will see big difference on moment and shear values and more smothness at the edges.

And also try "global smoothing" setting to make the forces at the neighbor edges more uniform

global smoothing.PNG

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
skellyRSA2023
in reply to: Rafacascudo

Rafa, 

Thanks for getting back, i have used the 0.1m mesh spacing and the global smoothing etc. however i do come out with large shear values at the supports in kN/m for what is applied, what is the best way of obtaining these maximum moment and shear values at supports under ULS combination? would it be to use a panel cut along the length and reduced results values? How are others obtaining these results and what is the more realistic value rather than localized concentrated values as generally i would design a slab for a metre width at supports and midspan? 

S. 

Message 4 of 4
Rafacascudo
in reply to: skellyRSA2023

Yes,panel cuts. Set a cut not on the slab edge ,but on the face of the supporting wall (half wall thickness). Cut lenght should be at your criteria ,but not more than where the peak grows abruptly..

Forces should be read across the cut. So for shear it should be :

Direction X - local of the cut

Force - Qxx.

Then ,the integral value will give you the total shear force acting on the cut length

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report