Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase natural frequency of truss tower

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Ferdissss
156 Views, 2 Replies

Increase natural frequency of truss tower

Hi, 

We played a 'game' in class at uni, but I was never able to finish it or understand it completely. Could anyone help me? 

We were given a simple truss tower (Picture below). It is 4x4x30m. I was not able to attach the file, sorry.

The task/game was to get the natural frequency over 5 Hz, timber utilization over 1(I guess that means ratio under 1, right?) and a total weight of max. 25 000 kg. 

Rules of the game: 

- Not allowed to add materials. Only allowed with timber GL28(glulam): 100x100, 100x200, 100x300, 200x200, 200x400, 300x300. 

- We can add as many elements as we want, but not delete existing elements or add new supports. 

- We can change the type of release. 

I added a simple bracing(one diagonal) on all four sides, at all the 'floors'. The natural frequency was then 3,3 Hz. No matter what I tried from here, my frequency got lower.

vildehog_0-1702060520638.png

Any thoughts?

Thank you! 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Simau
in reply to: Ferdissss

@Ferdissss 

At each level add 4 interior diagonals

Frq_increase.jpg

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Simau
in reply to: Simau

@Ferdissss 

Use a mixture of X ,inverted V, and interior diagonals with the smallest section (100x100)

frq increase.jpg

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report