Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efficient modelling of nonstructural masonry walls: Is it possible to have a curtain wall/cladding that does not distribute the load to the beams to the ceiling but only to the floor for each story?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
brisid.isufi
296 Views, 2 Replies

Efficient modelling of nonstructural masonry walls: Is it possible to have a curtain wall/cladding that does not distribute the load to the beams to the ceiling but only to the floor for each story?

I am looking for a simple way to model a heavy nonstructural wall in my structure. I read that curtain walls can be used in this case, so I modelled a curtain wall to represent my nonstructural wall. This seems to work very well to calculate the base reactions, but the load distribution to the intermediate beams is as shown in the figure below. In contrast, I need to distribute the load at the beams at the bottom level of each story (not at the top level as it is currently being distributed). For example, my roof beam would not take any load, and the beams below would take the full weight of the panel from ceiling to the floor. I guess I can just apply loads manually to simulate this wall, but I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks!

brisidisufi_0-1721403376534.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Rafacascudo
in reply to: brisid.isufi

I see 2 options. The simplest one is to use claddings that are 1cm shorter in a way that it doesn´t touch the upper beam. Making it one way vertical distribution ,all the load applied will go to the bottom beam.

The seconde option is to use a meshed shell orthotropic panel making it very weak in the horizontal direction.

See my answer on this thread to see how to do it

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/design-of-beam-supporting-rc-wall-abo...

Additionally ,in your case you will have to assign a free edgel release to the top edge of all your walls in order to not having loads transfered to the upper beams.

Bellow the 2 options , meshed panel in the left. claddings to the right

Rafacascudo_3-1721414673794.png

Rafacascudo_0-1721414327616.png

Test model attached

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
Romanich
in reply to: brisid.isufi

Hi @brisid.isufi,

For the first method mentioned by @Rafacascudo  the add-in is available:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/api-addin-wallcutter/m-p/5588508

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Roman Zhelezniak

Robot Evangelist & Passionate Civil Structural Engineer

LinkedIn | Robot & Хобот | App Store for Robot
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report