Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composite columns

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1620 Views, 6 Replies

Composite columns

Regards!

I would like to know how to define and design a composite column in robot structural. Is this possible? I need it to offset the lateral displacements caused by the seismic force.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Muhammed.OPERA
in reply to: Anonymous
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Muhammed.OPERA

Thank you very much! So the software can't design a composite column just can define it. Is this right?

Message 4 of 7
Muhammed.OPERA

Yes, as Mr. Atrur said:

"Such sections can be used in a model for static analysis, you can check stress distribution in the Stress Analysis module but the design  (code checking) of such section is not supported in Robot. "

Muhammed Mamdouh (OPERA)
Structural Engineer, Instructor
Facebook |LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I did a simple test. I defined a composite column and I applied a 500 kg lateral load. So when i saw the lateral displacements they were the same. The composite column and the simple column had the same displacements. I need to counteract the lateral displacements with composite columns. How can I do that in the software?

Message 6 of 7
Muhammed.OPERA

Hi @Anonymous 

First of all, sorry for my late respond,

I have made a simple test too, as shown in figure using:

Rectangular concrete column (0.30*0.60 m), IPN 450 section and a composite section of both of them.

Here you can see that Robot results perfectly matches my hand calculations:

Deflection.PNGDeflection 2.PNGHand calculations.jpg

Muhammed Mamdouh (OPERA)
Structural Engineer, Instructor
Facebook |LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
rkh6J2KF

Hi @Muhammed.OPERA.

Thank you for a nice walk throug and example. 

I am trying to do something similar - however I am running in to some issues. 

I am trying to model af circular steel section Ø650, t=12mm with concrete cast inside. 

However I am running in to issues:

- The section geometry (pipe) is not showing up in the Robot static model. No geometry is showing.

- The section properties (which are calculated in the section editor) are not showing up the static robot model.

- Ix is not calculated for the combined section

So far I have only been able to do a section in the Robot Model be the use of typing in the values manually. Here I have used Ix for the steel section alone. 

However I would very much like to be able to import the saved section from the database.

Would it be possible for you to explain the approach to this?

rkh6J2KF_0-1623667805074.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report