Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column-wall connection

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
809 Views, 7 Replies

Column-wall connection

Hello.

I have a problem during modelling my structure. I have applied the concrete barriers between columns and I have applied the temperature (Fx) -20°C to all elements (columns, beams, walls), then I have obtained the bending moment diagram, which in my opinion is wrong. Where could be a problem? Or how should I design such barriers (I need them to stiff my stucture, which is about 16 m tall). Here below the screen of my structure and bending moment diagram for this case. Thank you for the help.

Daniel

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

What diagram would you consider the 'right' one? As far as I can tell you shortened the rigid elements which are fixed to the columns supported in such a way that they cannot move horizontally at all.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Well I'm not so good in modelling, but I don't know whether this solution is good or not, please tell me (it is really important for me, beacuse it is for my engineering project). My teacher said me that the moment occuring in the support shouldn't be so high as in this case. When I remove the barriers, the moment in fixed support is relatively smaller (see the attachment), but the horizontal deflection are big. Could it be a matter also that this structure is modelled as 2D frame with shells? All the bending moments above the first bar (above the support) in case when the structure is stiffened by these barriers, are really small and thanks to this I am obtaining low area reinforcement in these cross sections (which in my opinion should be larger, because the structure is really tall ~ 16.5m). I completely don't know what to do in that case. Could you give me some ideas? Thank you for your reply. 

Message 4 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

I'd discuss the support conditions with your teacher - perhaps you should allow for some rotations/ displacements or check if the connections among 'barriers' and columns should be monolithic.  

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Well I could try the first option you have suggested, but what about the second? The structure is design as prefabricated. The wall with column connection will be provided via this solution (http://www.halfen.com/pl/2083/produkty/systemy-zbrojeniowe/hlb-petle-odginane/wprowadzenie). So if I stay with the idea with designing the structure taking into consideration these barriers, so how should I model the connection between the column and wall? As monolithic obtaining these big moments  in support or is there another way? Maybe some linear release of the wall-column connection? Have you met such a problem?

Message 6 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

I'd rather not be in the shoes of your teacher and I'd ask him on the guidance what the best approach would be (based on obtained results) as IMHO this is exactly what his role is  Smiley Happy

P.S. Let us know what he says as he as far as I understood told you to apply temperature load to the barriers. I'm interested to know Smiley Wink

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you for your reply. I have free hand to calculate the structure without the barriers. But here is the last problem. Should I calculate the buckling coefficient for the column as for the non-sway system? In thought I assume that the structure will be stiffened with these concrete barriers, that's why here is the idea of calculating the buckling coefficient using non-sway system. 

PS. Teacher said me that removing barriers is sensible approach and I should treat frame as only stiffened in nodes (? - question is up, as I understood it clearly?)

Message 8 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

You may check the comment made by RRufino in the 1st post from:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/buckling-analysis/m-p/3299643

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report