Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam with shell

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
adrian_ricinschi
1946 Views, 11 Replies

Beam with shell

Hello,

I have a model with steel beams.

On the right side there is a concrete shell on top of the beams. On the left side there is a cladding.

The load is the same on both sides.

The  concrete has the moment of inertia reduced to 10%.

Can you tell me what could be the issue for the shape of the diagram on the right side?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

hard to tell without the model

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12

Hi @adrian_ricinschi

The meshed panel transfers some load so the beam 'gets' less of it.  As the meshed slab and beam work together you got the negative moment die to the slab stiffness as it is continuous (applying the release at the beam end in such situation cannot make it too act as a simply supported one).

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 12

I know that the shell will "take"some of the load.

The problem is that the moment goes at the upper part of the beam and then goes to zero which is not correct.

Message 5 of 12

Hi @adrian_ricinschi

"As the meshed slab and beam work together you got the negative moment die to the slab stiffness as it is continuous (applying the release at the beam end in such situation cannot make it too act as a simply supported one)".

Try to change the thickness of the slab to a very small (e.g. 1 mm) one.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 12

I was ready to agree with Artur about this problem but experimenting (always!!!) with a refined mesh(25cm instead of 50cm) did the job !!!

refined mesh.jpg

Now , I wonder why???

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12

Hi @Rafacascudo

Can I have both models?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 12

Hi Artur

@adrian_ricinschi sent me the model in private .

So I need his permission to send you directly

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 9 of 12

Yes, you can send both models.

Thank you!

Message 10 of 12

Hi @adrian_ricinschi

The bending moments as visible on the picture you attached suggested that the slab was continuous but after looking at your model I noticed that you applied linear releases at both edges of the panels along the beam defined in the same direction so indeed the bending moments should look as for simply supported beams. The reason they weren't was that the release defined for panel 1038 was not actually created during the model generation (I don't know the answer on the why question Smiley Frustrated)

If you generate the mesh for this panel again it is applied (therefore @Rafacascudo model with smaller mesh size 'worked').  I will send Rafael the corrected model with the same mesh as size as in your original one. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi, I have a very similar issue but with Vertical Shear.

When I analyse my slab as Deck Slab One Way Spanning (0.01I Flexural Stiffness, 0.25E In Plane Stiffness), it appears to cause interaction between the Supporting Beams and Edge Beams, or Supporting Beam and Column Node. So that the Vertical Shear of my Supporting Beam reverses at the supports.

Capture.JPG

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Update: If I model as Hollow core Slab and Tick "Disregard Stiffness in Transverse Bending" the problem goes away but this is a bit of an awkward work around considering I am modelling a Slab on Trapezoidal Metal Deck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report