Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I cut objects using the void family that is loaded into the project

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
shaffaXZ4VY
146 Views, 2 Replies

Why can't I cut objects using the void family that is loaded into the project

Why can't I cut objects using the void family that is loaded into the project, Even though the family is correctly set up using structural framing and I have checked the cut option inside the family, and also when it has been loaded into my project, I never forget to cut the geometry afterward, then I click the object but it still doesn't produce anything. If I may know, where did I go wrong? Is it when creating the void family, should it be given the same material as the material to be voided or is it an error when loaded into the project?

shaffaXZ4VY_0-1714453336641.png

Tags (2)
Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jay_colcombe
in reply to: shaffaXZ4VY

If you want to create an Model In-Place Void you have to use the Cut Tool when creating that element before finishing the void Extrusion (Green Tick)

If it is a Void Family you have to create it using a Specific Family such as By Face and then Cut it In the Family so when it loaded into a project it looks for a face and knows to automatically cut it.

Otherwise you can simply use a Model In-Place Void Extrusion along with the Cut Tool in the Model as when loaded it doesn't know what to cut until you tell it!

jay_colcombe_0-1714469091186.pngjay_colcombe_1-1714469113205.png

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 3
shaffaXZ4VY
in reply to: jay_colcombe

Thanks for your suggestion sir, but I have tried all the methods you mentioned earlier, but in the end, I found the solution myself. I felt that cutting inside the family was not enough, so I found it using the model in place and then set it as a framing family, and then it could all be cut from within

but thanks so much sir for the respond

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators