Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel Beam Connection to Wall

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
chrisd
324 Views, 3 Replies

Steel Beam Connection to Wall

I've just started dabbling with Revit Steel Connections. We do many tilt-up precast panel wall projects which in real-life have steel cast-in-plates embedded in them.

In the screenshot below, the beam on the left is my reality, the beam on the right is a mock-up of what I want to achieve (I put a column there just to be able to create the cleat plate & bolts).

Is it possible to create a revit steel connection between a beam and a wall.?
(that is, without embedding a column in the wall to cheat the system)

chrisd_1-1698961595971.png

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jay_colcombe
in reply to: chrisd

If you wish to use the Connection Tool you could just use what you have and hide the Column Element out  by of the View.

The only possible alternative is to Create a Custom Connecton from this existing mockup to see if you can place replicate without the need for the embedded element.

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 4
chrisd

Thanks for your reply @jay_colcombe 

I was able to make a custom connection detail which included the panel cast in plate that I can attach to the end of the beam..it works well..! Now I just need to create some more versions of it for different sized steel beams.
The only glitch is that when the connection is applied, the beam extends itself to the centreline of the panel wall rather than staying cut-back from the face of the wall where it started. Not sure if there is any way to avoid this.?

Cheers!

chrisd_0-1698982893413.png

Message 4 of 4
Ignus.E

Hi. Thats because the changes to a fabrication part when you apply the connection and therefore extend to the system line length.  It does not adhere to the previous cut length.  So either you would have to build in a modifier in your custom connection to trim the beam back again or you would need to model the beam with the system line to the face of the wall and nit the centre before you apply the connection 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators