Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Rebar shape code 98

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
leon.d.dupreez
1349 Views, 7 Replies

Revit Rebar shape code 98

Good day

When using the UK rebar shape 98, the values A & B does not display in the Rebar schedule, but the total length does show. Anyone have the same issue...? and what can I do to resolve this issue.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Would start by checking the consistency of the shared parameters used for A and B within that family matches others used in the schedule (same GUIDs). Also check there are no slight dimension variations between items grouped into non-itemised rows i.e. initially check with 'Itemize every instance' .

That shape is sometimes used for seats isn't it so perhaps it has odd instance variations that can be reconciled.

The reason will be something of that nature because in the end bending schedules are just schedules so will have same issues as other schedules. There is likely nothing special about 98 that makes it not work in the schedule.

Message 3 of 8

Hi @leon.d.dupreez 

Did you add the shape to an existing project that also uses shapes from other libraries?

The A, B, C parameters are shared and defined for each rebar shape library (metric, imperial, UK, etc)

Even though they have the same name, they don't have the same definition (GUID).

In the Fields tab of your schedule, do you see multiple parameters called A or B?

Ovidiu Paunescu, M.Sc. Str. Eng.

Sr. Product Owner | Autodesk Revit

Message 4 of 8

Yes Sir, I did add the UK shape code 98 to an Existing project with other shape codes, cause I needed the stool rebar shape, and yes I saw that there is multiple parameters A, B, C etc. I tried switching the A and B values then the 98 shape code display the A & B values but then the other shape codes loses its A & B Values. Thank you so much for replying.

Message 5 of 8

Hi @leon.d.dupreez 

There are 2 ways to solve this:

Create your own shape 98

• Start from a 3 segment shape with 90 deg between segments (e.g. shape M_17) that you have in your project; this ensures that you are using the same shared parameter definitions
  • Edit the shape family
  • Assign the proper labels (A and B)

Assign_dim_labels.png

• Edit the shape parameters and change the default values for A and B; these values are what Revit uses to draw the shape in the rebar shape browser
  • Add 90 deg hooks to both Ends 
  • Rotate one hook to 90 deg and the other to 270
  • Add formulas for C and D "= Start Hook Length" and " = End Hook Length" respectively

rebar_shape_params.png

• Save the shape as shape 98
  • Load into the project and place it

You should delete the UK shape 98 that you have imported

The second option would be to edit the UK shape 98 and add new parameters

This is more complicated and I don't think it's worthwhile. It could be done by the following steps:

• Edit the shape 98 family and delete all the A, B, C parameters
  • Add new A, B, C parameters by selecting the definition file for the shapes you have in your project; for the libraries that come with Revit, there is a txt file with all the shared parameter definitions used by those shape families
  • To add a new parameter you need to select that parameter definition file and then add as many parameters as you need
  • Assign the parameters to the dimensions
  • Add a default value in the types 
  • Load into the project

I recommend the first option as it is much easier.

I've attached a Revit 2022 file where I edited shape M_17 and saved it as M_98; inside the metric library there is also a shape M_26 which is the same rebar chair.

Ovidiu Paunescu, M.Sc. Str. Eng.

Sr. Product Owner | Autodesk Revit

Message 6 of 8

Thank you for your input.

Message 7 of 8

Sir thank you so much for your time and effort. I used option 1 and it worked like a charm. Thank you once again for helping me learn something new about Revit.

Regards

Message 8 of 8
vniekerk_d
in reply to: leon.d.dupreez

Hi Leon

I have the same problem with the South African rebar codes. I have like three(3) different type A, B, C's ext. changing to another A,B,C parameter solves some bar issues but the others that worked before are messed up. Its seems to me that Autodesk just don't make sure things are working before they release things. Bar numbers not according to SANS 282:2011 as well.

Regards

Deon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report