Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2020 Steel Connections and Members not exporting to Navisworks 2020

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
szymon.weier.
6084 Views, 29 Replies

Revit 2020 Steel Connections and Members not exporting to Navisworks 2020

Hi All,

I am having a problem with exporting files from revit 2020 to navisworks 2020. Navisworks file does not see structural steel elements and connections. Everything was fine with 2019 versions of the software. Please see photos attached

Any ideas? 

revitrevitnavisworksnavisworks

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Hi @szymon.weier. 

Can You post \ send Revit file?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 3 of 30
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Hi @szymon.weier. 

As a workaround I would do export in 2 steps:

1. Export mechanical part to NWC (see "blue" below)

2 Export "structure" to IFC with "Include Steel Elements"

includesteelelements.jpg

3. Append both files in Navisworks

szymon.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 30

Hopefully the feature will be fixed soon.

It has been working perfectly well with 2019 version of the software. 

Our company is using Navisworks for project management and creating additional steps doesn't improve efficiency.

Thanks for now.

Message 5 of 30
ccapps
in reply to: szymon.weier.

Are there any Autodesk employees that can tell if this issue is being addressed ? We use Revit along with Plant 3D and Navisworks, we have a script to auto-build our federated models and this bug really stings.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: ccapps

Dear Autodesk, 

Please answer the question, Our design is 75% have steel connection. Now, everything connects with the steel connection not shown in the drawing including column n beam (Navisworks). Progress Review and clash detection are stuck because the review with Revit is too heavy (Mill Design).

I hope to get the answer immediately from Autodesk for this problem.

Thanks

Message 7 of 30
bgerig
in reply to: Anonymous

One Viable option is to export your revit to dwg format (I used ACIS solids) and it all of the bolts, plates and connections now show up in Navisworks.

Brady Gerig
Shambaugh and Son
Message 8 of 30
belsarec

Is this problem solved by regular NWC exporter for revit 2020?
I am also facing the same issue here for exporting NWC. I am not able to see the gusset plates and also some of the columns.

Can someone from autodesk please address this issue?

Message 9 of 30
KKendellen

Just wondering if you were able to find a solution for this issue?  I'm experiencing the same problem with Structural Connections, specifically plates, even when exporting directly to an NWC file from Revit 2020.

Message 10 of 30
szymon.weier.
in reply to: KKendellen

No solution, just workarounds. 

Autodesk is not doing much to address this issue. It was working fine with previous versions. Installation of the Revit 2020 is not really an upgrade if someone is using Navisworks and doing steelwork in Revit. The problem is when structural steel elements like beams and columns are used for fabrication - change in behaviour of the element. 

Message 11 of 30
ccapps
in reply to: KKendellen

Not a good work around for our work flow. I think you can export the Revit model to IFC or another format and import that into Navisworks. Autodesk is aware of this problem and has their Revit Development Team working on a solution. I should receive an email when it has been resolved and I will certainly post once I see the resolution has been completed.
Message 12 of 30
TFuller3iD

I still see no resolution with NWM 2020 Update 2. 

Message 13 of 30
Stan.Boss
in reply to: TFuller3iD

Has their been a solution to this issue? We have a massive steel workshop and only the Girts and some other braces comes through in Navisworks. I tried the nwc exporter and direct .rvt link and nothing works. Please help ASAP

Message 14 of 30
belsarec
in reply to: Stan.Boss

Hi Stan,

You can export the file in FBX/DXF/IFC file format. It will be reflecting the similar properties of element in the selection tree when we export NWC. 

Message 15 of 30
ccapps
in reply to: belsarec

We have a script that auto-builds our Navi Models and we are dependent on getting this error corrected. I was told by an Autodesk employee that they were aware of this issue and working to correct it. Revit 2021 will be launching in a few months, hopefully they have this issue corrected in the new version. This error makes Revit 2020 unusable to our firm. This is the first version of Revit we have early adopted that has bitten us. We hope this is not a trend.
Message 16 of 30

I had a similar issue with the steelwork and connections not exporting to Navisworks.

I found a workaround was to export as DWFx

AJ.
Message 17 of 30
irhorta

So, today on 28/02 2020 the problem continues. No workaround works for me, because I need IFC files of embedded information to be read in Navisworks, and if the file is exported from revit, that information and properties are being lost. An urgent and necessary solution is needed, otherwise the BIM concept will also be lost because of this problem.

Message 18 of 30
TFuller3iD

2021 appear to resolve the issue. I tried a baseplate - it worked; no extensive testing. 

Message 19 of 30
ccapps
in reply to: TFuller3iD

Try a clip angle connection, I think those were presenting the most issues.
Message 20 of 30
mromagnoli
in reply to: ccapps

Dear @ccapps and friends;
I had this same problem with Navisworks 2020 and did not find a satisfactory solution. The only thing I can tell you is that I tried resetting the Navisworks General Options and it improved the theme a bit but not completely.
I recommend you try Resetting Defaults the "Performance" tab and restarting the program. Reinsert the Revit model with metal structures.

steel.PNG
Finally, I wanted to tell you that the 2021 version of Navisworks has already solved the issue and all the metallic elements including the steel details are perfectly imported.

2.PNG
I hope it is useful to you.
Greetings to all.

Arq. Marco Romagnoli

AutoCAD Certified Professional | Revit Certified Professional | 3Ds Max Certified Professional | Fusion Certified User | Autodesk Certified Instructor | VRay Certified Instructor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report