Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2019 Structural Connections

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
advandes
1918 Views, 8 Replies

Revit 2019 Structural Connections

I am starting to dig into Revit 2019 Structural and the provided connection details. I would really like to be able to model all the detailed connection in Revit and then move to Advance Steel for the detailing, but I can't even get beyond 1st base with a simple beam to beam connection (See attachment). I believe I am following the correct steps in making this connection (Double Sided Clip Angle) and it appears Revit programming can't figure out how to correctly make this connection. It looks like a good start but the smaller beam is not coped correctly and has an incorrect clip angle bolt qty. Is it true that you have to manually modify every connection? Does anyone know of a good tutorial on making basic clip angle and splice plate connections?

AAG
Advance Design
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
catalin_lang
in reply to: advandes

The default parameters for each connection does not take into count the input elements.

You need to modify each instance.

For your case of Double Side Clip Angle you can do something like this:

DSCP.png

If you want to keep the connection settings in order to re-use the configuration:

- select the connection

- From Modify | Structural Connections tab >Connection panel select Customize

DSCP_custom.png

- save it as a custom connection

- re-use the custom connection in other situations

From the custom connection editor you will be able to edit the Double Side Clip angle settings and all the changes wil be propagated to all the instances of that custom connection. Also, the custom connection can be transfered to other projects.

catalin.lang

Message 3 of 9
advandes
in reply to: catalin_lang

I did play around with the connection and was able to get the connection to look properly. It is unfortunate that every connection needs to be tweaked.  It would be a better idea if the programmers provided a way to save a connection assembly and apply it where needed. Can these connections be copied from one location to another?

AAG
Advance Design
Message 4 of 9
advandes

oops, sorry didn't see the rest of your post. I will check this out and see how it works out.. Thanks for your help.

AAG
Advance Design
Message 5 of 9
catalin_lang

Besides the additions above, you can use the copy functionality to re-create the same configuration in other situations.

In order to save this configuration, as I mentioned, using custom connection is the only way now,

catalin.lang

Message 6 of 9
advandes

I just used the customize routine and saved a connection and applied it at a new location. It worked great but for some very odd reason it created another beam off in space.. see attached screen capture. Ughh...

AAG
Advance Design
Message 7 of 9
advandes

When I created the customized connection, I must have inadvertently selected a near by beam. My bad.. I deleted the saved connection and recreated it with no issues.

AAG
Advance Design
Message 8 of 9
advandes

Can you help me out with one other typical connection? I can not figure out how to attach a cap plate to a column and then have the bottom of the beam connected to the cap plate with 4 bolts... should be simple.., but I do not see a specific connection for this very typical situation. See attached. Thanks,

AAG
Advance Design
Message 9 of 9
catalin_lang

Gable wall end plate I think is the connection you need, from Column-Beam category.

catalin.lang

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report