Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing Wide Flange Column Posts & Base Plates on Sloping Wide Flange Beams

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
justinsoeder
1133 Views, 2 Replies

Placing Wide Flange Column Posts & Base Plates on Sloping Wide Flange Beams

Forgive me if this beginner question has been answered, but I've searched the forums to no avail.

I am trying to place a Wide Flange (W6x9) on a sloping wide flange beam to support a pipe rack. I have tried every way possible to get this column to attach to the wide flange below with a base plate and cannot figure it out. Do I need to set a level for exactly where the column intersects at bearing on the slope of the beam and set that as my column base, cope to match the slope, or is there an easier way to do this? I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work and attach a base plate on that slope.

Currently, when I place the column, the top will set correctly at my top/steel elevation, but the bottom does not know what to connect to, so it goes to my next lowest top/steel elevation in the project.

See attached screen shot for issue.

I greatly appreciate any help. There has to be an easy way to do this that I am just not seeing.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
subhra_civil
in reply to: justinsoeder

hi,

you are in right way i think. To review your image file which you have already attached i think you have to create a level at your beam and column junction point rather at the lower point of slope beam. Actually i am unable to read the total file of yours because you have not sent any revit file. To see your image file i think there will be a new level. Otherwise you can fix the bottom giving an elevation level which will be reffered an existing level in your file. I dont understand in which level you exactly want to fix your  bottom level.

However, your process is not wrong.

Thanks & Regards,

Subhradeep Sen

Kolkata

India

Message 3 of 3
gguevarra
in reply to: justinsoeder

I'm not sure how you intend to place the base plate where you described - I can only assume you have some sort of face-based family to do this. But as for extending the bottom of the column to the small W beam below, have you tried attaching the bottom of the W column to the W beam top flange? When you select the column the ribbon menu should change giving you the option to attach either the top or bottom of the column to an element you select. Hope this helps...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report