Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to automatically add rebar to families upon inserting

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
n_skinnerE7W9Z
247 Views, 4 Replies

Is it possible to automatically add rebar to families upon inserting

I am using Revit to detail concrete stairs and there are inserts that we put into the units that always have the exact same rebar attached to them. Is there some way to do this? I know that I can't put rebar into families, but is it possible to link a rebar shape to a family or something? This ends up being a time consuming because I have to individually place each bar in 3D space. I haven't been using this program very long, but it seems impossible to just place a static rebar shape. It is either fit to cover or requires the extra clicks of two-point dimensioning. Copying and pasting is difficult too because it complains about it not being in the host surface at all.

I.E. The side wall lifters always have three straight bar of set length and the top face lifters always have a hairpin, again of set length. I want to be able to place one of those families and have that exact rebar somehow go with it.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Unfortunately Rebar needs to be hosted as you have found out, a better alternatively is to create the shape which can host rebar, place the rebar and Group it, rebar Groups can be saved out of Revit to a external location and reinserted or saved into your Template for reuse.

Also when copying Rebar, Copy & Paste is not the best option you need to use Propagate Rebar, so you could have a grouped Stair and Rebar load it into a Projects and just copy from one to the other using this method

jay_colcombe_0-1701769212108.png

Help | Propagate Rebar | Autodesk

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. Unfortunately the inserts I add are plates and metal bits. They don't occupy enough space to host rebar. The rebar ends up hosted by the stair or slab unit. My current workaround is to just place the rebar shapes in one of the associated slabs, hide them, and have a detail elsewhere on the sheet that shows how they are actually supposed to be placed in the object. It is a little annoying, but it allows the rebar to end up on the schedule which is nice.

Message 4 of 5

Utilise Revit the best way possible, many use dummy elements to host rebar and hide afterwards as I recommended.

Others are comfortable simply using 2D Drafting/Detail views and using callouts to reference said views from 3D geometry.

Then there is the need to model everything in 3D for coordination and collaboration and quantification so everything will need to be in 3D.

Always use what tools are best for you at that time!

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 5 of 5

I hadn't of adding extra invisible geometry to families to host the rebar. I will have to try that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators