Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing CAD file in Drafting View - Control the data loss.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Lakshman01
982 Views, 9 Replies

Importing CAD file in Drafting View - Control the data loss.

Hello Everyone !! Hope yu all safe with good health.. 

Reg my title.., How to control the data loss - while am importing the CAD file in to REVIT - Drafting View

Is there any option to control ? OR Before importing do I need to work some in my CAD file .. ?? 

We have a lot of typical details information in CAD file. Everything we cant recreate in Revit (Using @Anonymous tools). That's what am asking .. 

Pls anyone come and resolve my case !! Thanks in Advance !! 🙂 🙂 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ipselute
in reply to: Lakshman01

First you need to create a strategy:

1. create a new rvt file just for these details and use it as a details' library for future projects

Don't load a ton of details into your current project if you don't need them. It will only hog and slow down your project.

2.Clean up your dwg of any unnecessary/unused stuff (layers, dimstyles, txtstyles, blocks, etc). You can use PURGE command for that. CAD artefacts are easier to remove in Autocad than in Revit.

3. Break down your dwg into several dwgs, each one containing just one cad detail.

4. Import cad details one by one (file by file). Save your rvt file after each import. Just in case something goes wrong, you will lose only the last import (detail), not everything.

Data loss may occur on any import, you need to compensate the loss by using Revit tools.

Message 3 of 10
hmunsell

what are you referring to by "Data Loss"?

What data are you loosing? 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Mohamed-Nassar
in reply to: hmunsell

i Faced This problem before, sometime some texts corrupted (not as CAD file).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above reply answers your question; Please mark it with ACCEPT SOLUTION
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mohamed Nassar , ACP, Autodesk Ambassador Gold
BIM Support / Structure Modeler
Message 5 of 10
Mohamed-Nassar
in reply to: ipselute

Is this way will affect my Line pattern and styles in my main project. if i used this strategy u talked about Sir

Message 6 of 10
hmunsell

@ipselute is a good start. here is the handout i give to my users when they need to import CAD details. i usually recommend making what i call a "Library file". You can bring your details into that library file and then use the Insert from file > Insert views from File tool to load them into your project.

Some say this is a little overkill, but i have seen imported CAD details decimate a project performance if not done properly.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Mohamed-Nassar
in reply to: hmunsell

I like it thanks Sir

Message 8 of 10
ennujozlagam

you wrote :

Reg my title.., How to control the data loss - while am importing the CAD file in to REVIT - Drafting View

what are the data loss? can you name it.

link the file and don't import any changes you can reload it again.

if there are hatching involve i explode them in autocad sometimes revit don't read the spacing and become full solid.

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 9 of 10
ipselute
in reply to: Mohamed-Nassar

@Mohamed-Nassar wrote:

Is this way will affect my Line pattern and styles in my main project. if i used this strategy u talked about Sir

If you are referring to linetype scale and hatch pattern scale, then my answer is no. Your CAD detail will be imported "as-is". Revit does not have a linetype scale or a hatchtype scale feature like Autocad has. The Revit-native line patterns and hatch patterns are automatically adjusted by Revit whenever you change the scale of a view.

Because imported CAD details are drafting views, Revit will NOT automatically (re)scale linetypes and hatch patterns. You are supposed to import CAD details at the right scale and not rescale them in Revit.

Revit uses line patterns and hatch patterns for model objects. Revit uses linetypes and hatchtypes for drafting objects. If you need to rescale drafting linetypes  or hatchtypes, you need to create new linetypes or hatchtypes for the scale that you need.

Message 10 of 10
Mohamed-Nassar
in reply to: ipselute

I mean it's affect my line styles and line patterns, i found a lot of IMPORT- Lines and Patterns and it may cause corrupt my file

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report