Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implement Revit on Workstation.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
selahin007
362 Views, 1 Reply

Implement Revit on Workstation.

Hello, to all expert Revit. Right now we have 10 users. We will start using Revit. I'd like to ask some ideas for Revit Implementation on a workstation so that those 10 users are able to work directly on the workstation and they can share their Revit related work.

Right now we are using Synology NAS and Just only AutoCAD the performance is not so good with a big project.
Guys, any recommendation pls. Thanks so much in advance.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
hmunsell
in reply to: selahin007

this is just a basic overview of what you will need to do. there are as many opinions on how to get started as there are people to ask. these are my thoughts on the question.....

Folder Structure:

1. If you don't already have one, develop a project directory structure (project specific designation, sub-folders, etc...). There are plenty of examples out there to look at.
  2. Decide where your Central models are going to reside in the project folder structure. 
    • in our case we have a Model folder, then a Central sub-folder and Discipline sub-folder(s) under that. the central models go in the discipline sub-folders.

Central Models:

for multiple users working on the same file you need a Central (work share enabled) file.

1. to create a new project model go to File > New > Project
    1. i usually put "(Central)" at the end of my file name for central models.
  2. from the template file option, pick the drop down and pick the appropriate template for your use.
    • you can also select Browse... and navigate tot he template folder and pick something from there.
      • C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2020\Templates
  3. from the Collaborate ribbon select Collaborate in Cloud, pick Network or BIM360 depending on how you are working. if you pick Network, Revit will make 2 worksets, Shared Levels and Grids and Workset 1
    • Shared Levels and Grids is where all your levels and grids should be created.
    • Workset 1 is a starter workset (think of it like an Autocad Layer) and can be renamed. additional worksets can be created as needed. i often think of worksets as task based organization
  4. when done, Save and Close your Central model....

Local file:

1. Open Revit and select the Central model you want to open.
    • let Revit manage your local files by checking the "Create Local" check box on opening a Central model.
    • do not select the Detach from Central, there is a time and place for that, not not now... 🙂
  2. when making a Local, Revit will use the "Default Path or user files" option under Options > File Location  
    • this can be found by selecting File (upper Left) > Options (bottom Right) > File Locations

Families:

1. if your just starting out try to use the Out of the Box families as much as possible.
    • there are other places to download from like BIMObjects,  but if your just starting out id get familiar with the OTB content first.

There is a lot more to talk about, but this should get you started.....

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report