Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFC export of In place objects goes crazy

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
marja.siden
2194 Views, 10 Replies

IFC export of In place objects goes crazy

I am trying to export a wall production file with some void extrusion model-in-place cuts in the walls.

See attached pictures of how the file looks in Revit, and in the resulting IFC-file.

The in-place objects multiplies(!) and moves so that they don't cut the walls in the IFC file.

I have used IFC 2.0 and IFC4, and tried all the kinds of project origin settings as if that should have made any difference... I use the "export only elements visible in view" option and I have removed everything from the model that doesn't need to be exported.

Can anyone help?! Can I lock the in place objects in their right place somehow?

Regards Marja

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
nathanhayes98
in reply to: marja.siden

Hi @marja.siden,

Never had this issue myself but could you try pinning the objects in the Revit model? Not sure if this would work.

Nathan

Message 3 of 11
marja.siden

Another example of the problem!

This is two IFC-models exported from the same project. The one to the right was exported before I had this problem with in place objects, the one to the left was exported now but from the same model.

When I exported before the in place objects came into the right place and now they all gather up in the same place and does not cut the walls... As far as I know I have used exactly the same settings for both IFC-exports.

Message 4 of 11
marja.siden
in reply to: nathanhayes98

I don't think that it is possible to pin in place objects. They should be connected to their work plane and their host... The work plane I used is the surface of the walls.

Message 5 of 11
nathanhayes98

What version of Revit are you using?

Message 6 of 11
marja.siden
in reply to: nathanhayes98

Revit 2020.1.

And since it's not possible to open a new Revit file in an old version of Revit I cannot test if it would be possible to export this in Revit 2019. 

Message 7 of 11
nathanhayes98

It may be worth trying the IFC add on available for Revit instead of using the default export options.

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=8986482933300179260&appLang=en&os=Win64 

Message 8 of 11
Rafal.Gaweda

Hi @marja.siden 

Could You please post or send me example Revit file?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Hi @marja.siden ,

Don't use the model in place in revit if u need to export to IFC format. Use parametric family to cut the wall or door opening. I tried this issued to insert the revit file to Archicad through IFC format. I faced the same issues, later we used every thing in parametric family type and it worked fine. 

Message 10 of 11
marja.siden
in reply to: Anonymous

I will perhaps try to make parametric families next time for a similar project, but I don't really know how to do that for round niches in the walls for example (that don't go all the way through), and for drilled holes in the top of the wall. What families to start from? For the window and door openings I already use parametric families.

But actually I resolved my problem by

1. Deleting and remaking the holes in the top of the wall. They were corrupt somehow. Perhaps because there were too many holes in the same object.

2. Exporting from another computer, there must have been something wrong with the installed copy on my other one. When exporting from another computer the in place objects stayed in their right place.

Thanks everyone for trying to help!

Regards Marja

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,

Hope that I am on right topic.

When exported IFC from Revit, some windows appear without opening.

Please check the attached.

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report