Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraints are not satisfied error for a Simple Basic alignment command

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
maarefi_mahdi
228 Views, 3 Replies

Constraints are not satisfied error for a Simple Basic alignment command

Hi

I have encountered an issue while modeling a basic structural family with four columns. In the initial step, I am trying to align these columns precisely at the intersection of the reference planes. The goal is to ensure that when I adjust the structure’s width and length, the columns move accordingly with the reference planes. Strangely, I find it impossible to achieve this alignment.

I have attached the family file for your reference."

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Structure framing are meant to frame into columns or other beams and do not like to be restrained in more than one direction especially while being vertical and nested within a generic family template.

I would recommend you consider using the Y and Z justifications of the structural framing family on the top right as dimension parameters as shown in the image. If you place the nested framing at the "center" of the family then assign parameters it should be stable. Also you will need to consider that the framing "work line" is still at the center of the family. 

Or you could also consider not using a vertical structural framing family because there are other ways to create a family that will achieve what you are trying to do but I am focusing this reply on your specific question. Good Luck!

msgambelluri_0-1720418872685.png

Marcello Sgambelluri

EESignature

Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your accurate and precise answer. Unfortunately, I couldn’t use the attached file because I’m using Revit version 2024. However, I followed the instructions, and it worked.

I would appreciate it if you could mention other ways of modeling the structure, as you mentioned there are alternative approaches. The reason I am modeling the family this way is that I want the family components to be included in the schedule and quantities.

Thanks in advance! 

Message 4 of 4

am currently facing an issue related to the height of the same family. I have discovered that it is quite complex due to several parameters, including extension, attachment reference, reference level, default elevation, and offset elevation.

To control the height of the columns, I have assigned start and end attachment level references using the parameter “h,” as shown in the attached screenshot. However, I have noticed some peculiar behavior regarding the “h” value within the project file. Specifically, when I changed the value of “h” from 3 to 2, the column shifted downward from the level, even though the overall height remained unchanged. Additionally, upon loading the project, the column did not align with level 1, necessitating the use of an offset value to properly position it.

I appreciate any insights or guidance you can provide to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your attention.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report