Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Center plane/line in C-bar family

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
p_kosinski
321 Views, 6 Replies

Center plane/line in C-bar family

Hello, 

We need to dimension reinforcement C-bars by their center plane (which is perpendicular to rebar and they are distributed on the same plane - side by side as shown below) and it seems like revit can't "see" the reference plane that is in rebar shape family (I tried to put additional reference line there but with no visible result in the model after reloading the family). We "handle" this by adding short lines in the model views (copy or array them) but it is pain in the... to do so on every drawing (not to mention we have to remember to move these lines when we move the bars). 

pkosinski_0-1628763913931.png 

pkosinski_1-1628764692178.png

Question: Is there a way to make Revit see the center of C-bars while dimensioning it?

Thanks for help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jason.P
in reply to: p_kosinski

You are correct the reference plane will now show up in your model once the family is loaded, but you should still be able to snap your dimension to it. Are you able to snap to it? You may want to try naming it. 

If you are looking for something that will physically show up in your model you could put in a centre line in the family and have it show up in the model. 

vis in plan.JPGvis.JPG

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni
Message 3 of 7
ToanDN

Edit the family, select the center Reference Plane and set [Is Reference] to Center (Left/Right).

Message 4 of 7
p_kosinski
in reply to: ToanDN

Tried that. It doesn't work unfortunately (seems like it should but not). I also tried to put new Ref. line there but that doesn't work either 😞
Message 5 of 7
p_kosinski
in reply to: Jason.P

I'm not able to snap dimension to it. Tried to name the Ref. plane but that doesn't work. And as for placing "physical" line in family - in Rebar Shape family you cannot put in lines except Refference lines which are no use after loading family to the model (it doesn't show up or enable to snap dimension to it either).
Message 6 of 7
ToanDN

So it is a rebar. I thought it was a structural column. Can you share the
profile family?
Message 7 of 7
p_kosinski
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes, it is a rebar. I attach the family (it is typical revit rebar shape family - I didn't mess around with it). 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report