Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot perform save this document command because background calculations are in progress/

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
daniel7FDRJ
20073 Views, 58 Replies

Cannot perform save this document command because background calculations are in progress/

Randomly cannot save my project. Not sure where this should go in the forums but I work mainly on structures so I figured here will do.

This is the second time I'm getting this error today and I've had work colleagues get similar errors and no one seems to know why or how to fix it?

As you can see from the image there are no background calculations running. They're also all turned off where possible. I have no idea how to get around this issue.

58 REPLIES 58
Message 2 of 59
stefani.ads
in reply to: daniel7FDRJ

Daniel, would it be possible to send us over some information so that we can investigate this a bit on the Development team's side:

• the model where this happens - if it is indeed happening for specific models and not for any models
  • a Revit journal from when this issue occurred + the worker log that is created next to the journal file - so something like journal.txt and journal.01.worker1.log 

Also, please also try the following in the same model as soon as this issue occurs again and let us know the results:

• in that model, when saving not possible, try any of the following actions while the Background Processes window is open and check there to see if a task for that action shows up in the window and if it then finishes and disappears afterwards - this is to assess if RevitWorker does indeed still function at this point:
    • change any parameter from the properties of a steel connection in that model (plate thickness, bolt distances etc.)
    • delete a steel connection from that model
  • go to Windows Task Manager and stop (End Task) the RevitWorker.exe process then try saving again and see if it works now.

Additionally, two other questions:

• do you remember any steps you did in the model prior to getting in this state, any steel-related tasks that you may have done?
  • when you say "background calculations are turned off where possible" what do you mean - can you describe this a bit further?

Thank you,

Irena

stefani.ads

Message 3 of 59

Hello 

I have this problem too I was working with plates and bolts for about 1 hour and suddenly this error came up
I can't save or edit or model anything new 

I ended the " revitworker.exe " in task manager and tried to edit or save but it didn't work either 
I tried to delete one plate and in the background process in the bottom right box a notification came up about " steel element deletion calculation "

It still doesn't work !! 

Message 4 of 59
Bogdan.moga

Hi,

I ran in the same problem after I started working with steel connections. Nothing works anymore. Can't even close the model, just end the task using task manager.  

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 59

@elaheh.mohebgh@Bogdan.moga 

Would it be possible to send us the Revit journal from when this issue occurred + the worker log that is created next to the journal file ? - so something like journal.txt and journal.01.worker1.log 

Is this happening consistently on any model when trying to work with steel connections or is it isolated to a specific Revit project?

Can you also mention the Revit version where this is happening? Has it always happened in this Revit version or did this start after some point in time? Do you have any Revit add-ins and add-ons installed on the machine for that Revit version? 

Thank you,

Irena

stefani.ads

Message 6 of 59
Bogdan.moga
in reply to: stefani.ads

Where are these files generated?(journal.txt and journal.01.worker1.log)
It's the first time I came across this error.
I tried to recreate the steps I did yesterday, but couldn't get the error to show again, so probably is an islolated event.
Revit version is 23.0.11.19, 20220503_1030(x64)
Message 7 of 59
stefani.ads
in reply to: Bogdan.moga

The journal files are located here: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Revit\<Product name and release>\Journals

It would be good to try to identify the journal where the issue occurred if possible. The worker1.log file corresponding to it would have the Background process error documented in it.

Also, if there are any ".dmp" files in the same location, please send those over to us too.

Glad to hear this is not a permanent issue, but an isolated one. 

stefani.ads

Message 8 of 59
liamsinha1

This has also happened to me several times this week. Not sure exactly what is causing it, but I think it is related to steel connections as this is my first time interacting with this functionality within Revit and I've never encountered the issue in other projects. I was able to save my work by clicking on the undo dropdown in the top left corner, reverting my last 100 actions and then using the redo dropdown to revert the changes to my most recent action. Hope this helps someone else!

Message 9 of 59

That worked a treat thanks for that.

Message 10 of 59
jacob.wallram
in reply to: stefani.ads

Randomly cannot save my project. 

Used revit in college and downloaded the 30-day trial just to help my dad out drew some simple blue prints for a send in to the local govenment.

Wanted to print the sheets and now i can`t save or print anything, would really like for this to work out. I would rather not do the work again 🙂

/Jacob
Message 11 of 59
meilechTPVL4

The same thing Occasionally hapens to me in Revit 2023. Sometimes If I delete a steel connection or move a column the calculation will never end. It does usually work to ctrl z (undo) until the command that caused the issue. Then I save and continue and the bug does not occur. However this can cost hours of work if I did not notice the error and kep going.

Message 12 of 59
PSmart17

May be of use to someone here, my colleague just had the same issue.  Decided to open an new blank model to try and copy the work across when the problem model started working again and allowed a save.  Does just opening a new model template and trying again work for anyone else?

Message 13 of 59
meilechTPVL4
in reply to: PSmart17

I can confirm that @PSmart17  's solution works, at least in some cases.
It did not need to be a blank file. I simply opened another project. I guess thats all the jolt it needed to reset the calculations function.

Message 14 of 59
meilechTPVL4
in reply to: meilechTPVL4

Good news it works with families as well
no need to wait 5 minutes while you system loads a whole project, Simply load a family and it resets the calculation.

Message 15 of 59
davidjimm
in reply to: liamsinha1

Thanks. That worked.

Message 16 of 59
mgay
in reply to: davidjimm

Can confirm opening another project will allow you to save.

Message 17 of 59
conorCJKEU

Remove all the Connection on the Steel Tab and it will save.  Also open a new drawing. cannot perform save this document command because background.png

Message 18 of 59
GerhardtEkcon

Some heroes do not wear capes...Thank you!
Message 19 of 59
drmarques
in reply to: conorCJKEU

Opening a new drawing worked for me! I'm using Revit 2023 and I can confirm that this started to happen when using steel connections.
Message 20 of 59
timT69U9

This is the real solution!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report