Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break Line Family help

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
rdolphins1427
3312 Views, 27 Replies

Break Line Family help

Hello,

I have a break line family that when its inserted into our NTS typical details causes the extents of the drafting views to be huge. When we delete the break line, the extents of the drafting view fits the size of the title block detail box extents (please see attached pdf). I have tried edit the break line family and the nested break line families and stretched down all the reference planes, reference lines, etc, thinking that maybe those extents were causing this problem because originally the ref planes and ref lines were stretched way out when the family was created. Do this didn't help the issue and there are no other lines, text, dimension and/or objects floating out in the family that should be causing this. I have attached everything needed and would greatly appreciate if someone could help.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

The OOTB Break Line doesn't do that.  The difference between the two families, is that yours has a nested Generic Annotation in it. Maybe that's the culprit?  

Message 3 of 28

Have you tried cropping the width and height? When you are drafting there are setting to set the width and height of the draft view. Viewport --> extents --> crop view --> size crop.

Message 4 of 28

@eric.zhang305: "DRAFTING VIEW" -- as in view type.  

Message 5 of 28

Hi Ron, please see my Screencast, whatever is causing that large move box is causing the sheets to have the large view.

Message 6 of 28

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Message 7 of 28

I worked on this a little more and found the source of the problem. When the Break Line Family was created, someone moved the drawing down by 12" from the origin. See my Screencast for resolution. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 8 of 28

Thank you for all the help! I truly appreciate it. I tore my left achilles tendon this past Sunday and I’m hoping to be back at work early next week. I will try these solutions out and see if they help my break line family. Sorry for late response, I just had surgery yesterday and have not been working this week. I’ll dive into this family next week hopefully. Thanks again to ALL !
Message 9 of 28

No worries about the late response, I completely understand. Let me know when you are back in the office and if doesn't work I can further help you then. If my Screencast works please accept as solution. Hope you feel better! 

Message 10 of 28

@rdolphins1427 wrote:
I tore my left achilles tendon this past Sunday 

You sure it wasn't a "Neymar Owie". he.he.  

Neymar-World-Cup-713661.jpg

Message 11 of 28

Ah man I wish, really funny pic though. He may need a bandaid 😉
Message 12 of 28

Thank you for the solution, that was really bugging me! I have no idea why that family would have been moved down 1'-0". Oh well, it's fixed now all thanks to you. Sorry it took so long to check it out and reply. I just started to work again, turns out a torn achilles is really painful and takes time to move around again. Who knew 😉

Message 13 of 28

Huh??? Hate to burst anybody's bubble here, but that ain't no solution.   No offense; just calling it like it is.  

Message 14 of 28
ToanDN
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley wrote:

Huh??? Hate to burst anybody's bubble here, but that ain't no solution.   No offense; just calling it like it is.  

Why?  It does fix the issue when I tested it.

Message 15 of 28
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

Post yours @ToanDN.  If I gotta eat crow, I'll do so in grand style. Promise.  

Message 16 of 28
ToanDN

Capture.PNG

Message 17 of 28
barthbradley

Did you accidentally send me  the same one? This one doesn't flex.  

Message 18 of 28
ToanDN

Flex? 

Capture.PNG

Message 19 of 28
barthbradley

Yeah, I get that @ToanDN. I've already explained why that is in my first post.  Not flexing is an incidental finding. Analogous to buying a car without a engine in order to reduce your fuel costs.    

Message 20 of 28
ToanDN

@barthbradley wrote:

Yeah, I get that @ToanDN. I've already explained why that is in my first post.  Not flexing is an incidental finding. Analogous to buying a car without a engine in order to reduce your fuel costs.    

Your first post doesn't mention anything about the detail family is off origin by 12".  Or did you edit it out afterward?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report