Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beam and Column Intersection

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
emanuela.agent
5364 Views, 8 Replies

Beam and Column Intersection

Hi, 

I have the following issue: sometimes, when I draw a beam, Revit will leave a gap between the beam and the column, for no apparent reason. It doesn't always happen, even between the same type of column with the same type of beam. I tried redrawing the beam, playing around with the length, copying a beam that behaves well, but it still leaves the gap.

Any ideas on how to solve this or why it might happen? 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
erik_snell
in reply to: emanuela.agent

This is called a “setback”. This is done for steel beams when there is a “join” made between a beam and an other element, like another beam, column or wall. These joins should be made between these element automatically. There is a way to turn off this join by right-clicking the blue-dot control at the end of a beam and selecting Disallow Join in the menu. 

Autodesk Logo

Erik Snell, P.E.
Experience Design Architect
Autodesk Revit

I am an Autodesk employee and the opinions or commentary I provide are my own and not necessarily that of Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
EdwinG

If you draw a beam that connects to another beam center this gap will appear, its called "Start Join Cutback" or "End Join Cutback" (depends wich end is joined), simply set this value to zero.cutback.PNG

Message 4 of 9
emanuela.agent
in reply to: EdwinG

Thank you for your reply. The beams and columns I am using are concrete. I don't see an option for Join Cutback. 

Message 5 of 9
emanuela.agent
in reply to: erik_snell

The beams I was working with are concrete, but the Disallow Join option did do it. Thank you!

Message 6 of 9
brucehans

For cast-in place concrete, there will be no gap in the reality. The software seems not consistent with join conditions. Sometimes, the align tool can fix the problem.

Message 7 of 9
erik_snell
in reply to: brucehans

There is a parameter in the family that controls this behavior. I don't have Revit running right now but I believe it is called Material for Behavior or something similar. For concrete, this should be set to concrete. Then the beams will join together so they look as they were poured at one time. The out-of-the-box content can be looked at for the correct behavior.

Autodesk Logo

Erik Snell, P.E.
Experience Design Architect
Autodesk Revit

I am an Autodesk employee and the opinions or commentary I provide are my own and not necessarily that of Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 9
brucehans

You meant this? It's already been set to concrete, but still has same problem. According to what I found on here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles.... It said:  If the structural material type of the beam is steel, concrete, precast concrete, or other, the gap is set to 1/2". It's been post on Feb 23 2007. If it's still true. maybe that's where the problem came from.2018-09-01_095223.jpg

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

It's a view range issue. your looking the right beams but for columns instead of looking to lower columns your looking to the upper columns. Sometimes (not always) your columns in the upper levels get smaller, and because of that sometimes (not always) you see a gap between beams and columns. if you change your view range numbers it'll be OK.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report