Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Family Visibility and Detail Level

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
har42575
487 Views, 4 Replies

Managing Family Visibility and Detail Level

I have placed 3d families into my project. I'm happy with the view and display in the 3d view. I would like the element to display differently in the plan view.

For example,

Supply, Return and Exhaust Registers.-

in the plan view there is no need for me to see each individual blade. This appears as just a dark square or rectangle when plotted out at a smaller scale. I would like these types of items to appear as a square or rectangle with an ex or a single diagonal line in the box. this would indicate positive or negative pressur

At a project level I have not been able to change the appearance of this item. Is there something that I need to do at a family level? Where can I find step by step instructions to help me?

to sum it up,

I have a 3d item that appears as needed in 3d views. I want that same item to appear as a simple 2d representation of that object. Can this be accomplished. -thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: har42575

Yep, you have to go to the Family level to accomplish this, but it's usually a pretty easy process. As an example I have this Family that has these three louver blades (see image below) that I don't want to show on Plan View.

SampleFamily.JPG

What I will do is open the Family. Right-click on an instance of that family and select "Open for Editing", or right-click on that Family in the Project browser and select "Edit". Navigate to a 3D View using the Project Browser. You should be able to see the components that you wish to hide. Select them and go to VIsibility/Graphics Overrides under Properties. Here, you can specify in what Views that these components actually show up. In this case, uncheck the box for "Plan/RCP". (see image below)

FamilyExtrusionVisibility.JPG

Once completed, click "Load into Project" on the ribbon and overwrite the definition in your Project. If you want to save the modified Family, you can, but if you don't want to save it outside of this Project, you can close it without saving. This is because once you load it into the Project, that definition is updated.

Families have the potential to be a little complicated, so if the above doesn't seem to work with your Family, post that Family file here.

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, dharris0018!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
har42575
in reply to: CoreyDaun

yes, that seems like what I want to do.  I don't see the view in which I can turn elements on and off in certain views. I also would like to then replace the blades that I turn off with just a line or two to represent the supply or return air. attacted is the family that I'm working with.

thank you

Message 4 of 5
har42575

Well I think I found out why i wasn't getting the Family Element Visibliity Settings in the Register rvf.  It appearst that the blades were a family with in a family. I will give this all a try now and let you know the results. thank you-

Message 5 of 5
CoreyDaun

Yes, the blade is an embedded family, but it also belongs to an array group. There are two ways to go about this:

1. Open the embedded family, modify the visibility settings for the extrusion, and then draw a Symbolic Line (in the "Ref. Level" view) along it.

2. Select an instance and click Edit Group. Select the Family and modify the visibility settings. Draw a Symbolic line and close the Group.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report