Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewtitle to pull in Sheet Properties

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bgumPXZJF
409 Views, 6 Replies

Viewtitle to pull in Sheet Properties

Context:

See the screen shot below. I would like to have my border text contain labels that pull in properties from the sheet. I would then like for my view titles to use a label that contains those same sheet parameters. Like shown in my image. For the life of my I can not figure out how to do this! I just want to edit in one location (being the sheet properties) and for the labels in the title block (border text) and view title to pull those properties in via a label.

Currently my Sheet properties are declared as project properties and my title block has no trouble bringing them in via labels.

bgumPXZJF_0-1629924472689.png

Ive been struggling with this all day and Im just extremely confused now

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ennujozlagam
in reply to: bgumPXZJF

post your file so wee can check? thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 7
iainsavage

@bgumPXZJF wrote:

Currently my Sheet properties are declared as project properties

Titleblock parameters which are different on each sheet should be categorised as Sheet. E.g. number, title, scale, drawn by etc.

Those which are the same on every sheet should be Project e.g. job number, job name, client etc.

I’m not sure if that’s what you were meaning in your statement above.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/EN...

The view title should easily be able to display the scale - its a built-in property and the viewport knows what scale it is so it will automatically populate itself if the Scale label is included in its title family. The standard Autodesk view titles include this function.
If the scale parameter in the sheet title block is the Revit built-in Scale parameter then it will also self-populate by taking the scale from the viewport (rather than the other way around) i.e. if you only have one view at 1/8”:1’ then the titleblock scale will pick that up from the view and automatically display that. If you have more than one view at different scales it will display “as indicated”.

So scale is the easy part.

The other bits need to be Shared Parameters in your titleblock family and loaded into your project. To be honest though I don’t know if you can pull sheet data into the view title because I’ve never felt the need to do that - I’m not sure why you would want the view title to be the same as the sheet title and I don’t see any need for the view title to display the number of the sheet so I’ve never done this.

Message 4 of 7
bgumPXZJF
in reply to: ennujozlagam

What files should I share? View title family and the title block family?
@ennujozlagam 
------------
Yes, the scale works fine. That is straight fwd b/c its natively built into view title family.

Im tying to pull in a few sheet parameters, being 2 custom ones I made. The title block is able to reference these via labels within the title block family I made. I want the view title to be able to have labels that can reference the same sheet parameters. In Autocad its very easy to use fields that pull from the sheets properties. Screen shot in original post shows how I set up my "viewport barbell" (view title in revit) to pull the same information that the border text references. 

You said you cant think of a instance where you would want view title to ever pull any information that is declared in the sheet. So what do you use the view title to display? 

Historically my company's "viewport barbell" in CAD references pretty much the exact same information that is in our border text
@iainsavage 

------------

Sounds like maybe Im trying to do something that isnt possible.

Any recommendations on best practices and what you feel the view title should actually contain please let me know.

Message 5 of 7
RobDraw

Doesn't that workflow break down as soon as you add a second view to a sheet? 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 7
iainsavage

This won't work for shared parameters (at least I couldn't get it to work).

I tried my own version.

The valid parameters in the view title lables have to be from the View, not from the sheet, and I can't see a way of assigning shared parameters to views in the project.

See screenshot.

If you want to achieve this then all that I can think is that maybe it could be done with Dynamo to extract a parameter value from the sheet and pass it into the view which will then pass it to the view title. 

iainsavage_0-1629985827076.png

Sheet Name and Sheet Number are avialable as view parameters so, like the Scale, these are easy to do:

iainsavage_2-1629986725221.png

"You said you cant think of a instance where you would want view title to ever pull any information that is declared in the sheet. So what do you use the view title to display?"

If I only have one view on a sheet then generally I use a Viewport with no title at all. The sheet name, number, scale etc say everything that I need to say without repetition under the view itself.

If there is more than one view then I'll use the titles to describe a summary of what each view shows plus the scale. But that's just my own way so it depends on your company/project standards. 

"Historically my company's "viewport barbell" in CAD references pretty much the exact same information that is in our border text"

If that's your standard then fair enough but it just seems like unnecessary repitition to me if its not saying anything different.

Hope this helps to some extent but post back if you need more.

Message 7 of 7
bgumPXZJF
in reply to: iainsavage

@iainsavage You're incredibly helpful. Thank you for taking the time out of your day for me. I appreciate your support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report