Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System unavailable for pipe pressure loss report

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ndavishess
363 Views, 8 Replies

System unavailable for pipe pressure loss report

Hi,

I'm trying to create a pipe pressure loss report, but the system I want (DCW 3) isn't on this list. I made sure the system had calculation set to all. Does anyone know why it's not a system to choose from?

Thanks!

ndavishess_0-1720551213765.png

ndavishess_2-1720551549879.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
iainsavage
in reply to: ndavishess

This happens if the system is not "well connected" so Revit is not able to analyse the flows properly.

System Inspector is probably not available for that system as well?

Message 3 of 9
ndavishess

Yes that was it. Also the flow direction, ie. inlet and outlet of my valves, were flipped, so I was getting negative flow rates in some pipes. Make sure your families and accessories are all pointing in the right direction 

ndavishess_0-1720558925517.png

Message 4 of 9
iainsavage

Most accessory families such as valves will have connectors set to Fitting (which is inherently bidirectional) or Global and Bidirectional.

Is there actually a need to have them as single direction?

Message 5 of 9
robert2JCCH
in reply to: iainsavage

@iainsavage wrote:

Most accessory families such as valves will have connectors set to Fitting (which is inherently bidirectional) or Global and Bidirectional.

Is there actually a need to have them as single direction?

Admittedly it's a funny way to make sure your designers draft/model check valves in the right direction 😋

Message 6 of 9
iainsavage
in reply to: robert2JCCH

For check valves yes, but no need for isolating valves?

Message 7 of 9
ndavishess

Yes - this are the flow directions when I turned a valve around. Notice how the flow is exiting all three pipes. This messes with your flow rates/ calculations etc. 

ndavishess_0-1720631921568.png

Message 8 of 9
robert2JCCH

@iainsavage wrote:

For check valves yes, but no need for isolating valves?

Yeah it's probably not needed for all use cases. Just a few specific conditions (check, backflow, triple duty, strainers).

Message 9 of 9
iainsavage

@ndavishess wrote:

Yes - this are the flow directions when I turned a valve around. Notice how the flow is exiting all three pipes. This messes with your flow rates/ calculations etc. 

I understood that - your families must have directional connectors in them (In or Out).

Unless you need that function you can change the connectors to Bidirectional to simplify your modelling by avoiding the need to flip the families.

In the case of real single direction valves (as listed by @robert2JCCH ), you can still use Bidirectional connectors and rely on the valve symbol to show you if its the correct way around but if you do accidentally fit it back-to-front your flow calcs will still work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report