Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spot Elevation or Tag for Fabrication Hangers

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
OliverHoen
364 Views, 6 Replies

Spot Elevation or Tag for Fabrication Hangers

I need create a shop drawing for our installers showing the elevations of trapeze hangers used for conduit and cable tray. I am not able to place a spot elevation on the strut (just the threaded rod, which gives inconsistent results).

I tried to modify a tag to report elevation but that's not an available parameter. And I can't add one since the hangers are a system family, correct?

I must be missing something obvious or going about this the wrong way. I haven't found any answers searching.

I suppose I could tag bottom of tray/conduit but I wanted to do a hanger-only plan to keep things cleaner (and I can't get spot elevation to work on cable tray, just cable tray fittings).

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Ghernandez
in reply to: OliverHoen

Oliver,

What type of Cable tray are you using? System families or Fabrication parts? I know the ADSK V2.2 database has some containment parts is why I ask. 
I tested out placing a spot elevation on cable tray not just a fitting and the spot elevation works fine.

a.PNG

Message 3 of 7
OliverHoen
in reply to: Ghernandez

I'm using the OOTB system families for tray. Spot elevation works for me, as you've shown, in a section view but not in plan view.

For hangers I'm using fabrication parts.

Edit- It seems to be working on straight sections in a plan view I just opened. I wonder if it was something in the view template that was screwing me up. I'll try it in a few different scenarios and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
cj4SYRP

You need a parameter for rod length. You could even create one that you set the value for. I can export one of my hanger families if that helps too 

Message 5 of 7
OliverHoen
in reply to: cj4SYRP

Can you explain a bit more? How would I use a rod length parameter to get, say, a floor to top of strut dimension?

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
gary.cowan

fabrication hangers are rubbish, best to make your own hangers in a native revit family that can be controlled independently, and have data that can be tagged and scheduled like elevation, strut length, rod diameter etc

also you can show off and add some style with your company logo etc, like I did.

garycowan_1-1721644023786.png

garycowan_0-1721644003448.png

garycowan_2-1721644105014.png

Message 7 of 7
arababah

Hello all, @gary.cowan @Ghernandez @cj4SYRP @OliverHoen  

we are working on enhancing our hanger configurator tools & families, would be great to hear your feedback on our  Atkore hangers in our free toolbar: https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=9023217157654921583&appLang=en&os=Win64  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report